Continental V's Aer Lingus to New York(Newark)

polo1

Just wondering what your thoughts are on Continental vs aer lingus to the US - usually travel with Aer Lingus but was thinking of travelling with Continental for a change - Sun - Thursday only Economy class
Thanks,

Be keenly aware that Continental flys the smallest transatlantic aircraft permitted (Boeing 757-200). Cabin space (read, 'legroom') is at a premium and what with all those 'super-sized' Yanks...

OTOH, Irish families with loads of ankle-biters on Aer Lingus flights is not all that appealing either.

Aer Lingus over Continental any day, mainly for the legroom issue. On the other hand, if your final destination is New Jersey, Newark is OK. Similarly if you are going to Philadelphia/Baltimore/Washington via train, as the train station is very convenient to the airport.

Just back from NY.
Flew in to JFK and got organised schuttle bus.
Taxi charges the same amount to get to anywhere in Manhattan for a flat fee of $45 + tolls.Max $50 +tip.
I wouldnt care who I flew with If i saved a few bob.
Continental had very good prices from Shannon but we only found them after we had booked Aer Lingus.Mind you we had a 2 hour delay in Shannon before take off.
As for leg room it doesnt bother me as its only approx 7.5 hours out and 5.5 hours back.
Fab city
Enjoy

D

Aer Lingus, more spacious plane, bit better for grub, better movie (usually).

Continental, Newark is better airport than JFK as is smaller and can get simple train connection to town (Penn Station) thus saving on taxi. Can select seat in advance via continental.com.

Just make sure you are on a non-stop and not one of those flights that do a DUB/SNN stopover.

Went to Newark last year with Continental ex Shannon. Fine except we were in the very last row at the back and my seat was damaged it was very uncomfortable. The flight over was very very bumpy all the way from Labrador to Newark. The planes are very small. The flight attendants were pleasant and unpretentioius.

aj

Slightly related question - given that I have to take a connecting flight after getting to the US and the connection from any of the East Coast airports (plus Chicago) currently served from Ireland are more or less the same (plus or minus 30-60 minutes) which airport/flight/carrier gives the best service/least hassle combination ?

In other words, I could fly Continental to Newark and take a Continental connection to my eventual destination, or EI or Delta to JFK and a connection onwards, or American or EI to Chicago and an American connection onwards.

Last I heard, EI didn't have seat back entertainment, does any of the others flying out from Dublin have it on these flights ?

Thanks for any suggestions,

z

zag said:
Last I heard, EI didn't have seat back entertainment, does any of the others flying out from Dublin have it on these flights ?
They did on the last time that I travelled with them to Boston - and that's a few years back.

Rainyday - thanks for the update. I was obviously working off some out of date information.

Do you have any suggestions for best/easiest airport for transit ?

Cheers,

z

Newark is an easy, comfortable airport for connections. JFK is huge and can be awkward to get around if you have to drag your luggage with you.

I've booked flights online and noticed that sometimes you are offered a connecting flight from one of the other NY airports - e.g. a connection from La Guardia having flown into JFK! Watch out for this...

Hi Zag / Rainyday

I went to Chicago late 2005 via Aer Lingus and the plane did not have seat back entertainment - just the old drop down dodgy TVs. I think it depends on which plane you get from Aer Lingus on the specific flight.

I think it's hit & miss with these guys & based upon the last experience with Aer Lingus (granted, I was in the cheap seats btw), I would not be recommending them ... the service was lilttle better than you would get on Dublin Bus !

From various flights to the USA over the past 5-7 years, I've found BA to be the best for the non-corporate customer .. even if you do have to fly & in out of the UK first, adding time to your commute.

A real shame to say you can no longer recommend your national airline, but sadly the facts are the facts Im afraid.

Cheers

G>
[broken link removed]

Aer Lingus have just 1 plane with seatback entertainment and I think it is on the LA route. None of the others offer it.
Newark is probably the best bet for connections, modern airport easy to get from one terminal to other. Never been to Atlanta but friend had complications there and ended up missing flight. JFK and Chicago very big and may be messy if you have to change terminal.

edited to clarify more than one terminal at EWR

I've just booked flights to JFK from Shannon with Delta Airlines. I don't know what they're like as it will be our first time flying with them but they were the cheapest of the 3, i.e. Aer Lingus, Continental & Delta. Just to make you aware of it.

you have to collect your luggage and transfer it yourself when flying to the states and getting a connecting flight even if its the same airline - customs regs.

Delta? Tiny and hard seats. Actually the padding in the cushions has been compressed to half the original height by the preponderance of 'super-sized' Yanks sitting on them. And the flight attendents are generally 'stout', too (a window seats for Max, please!).

When boarding I remove all the seatback pocket bumpf, excluding the safety card, to the overhead bin. And I also stuff the 'pillow' and blanket in there. Funny to watch other passengers clutch their blankets to their chests for the first 3 hours of flight.

getoffthepot said:
you have to collect your luggage and transfer it yourself when flying to the states and getting a connecting flight even if its the same airline - customs regs.

Thats true but depending on the airport and airline there is often a drop off point just outside customs to recheck your baggage.