Continental seat allocation?

Bluebean

hello,

I'm flying to Newark and on to Las Vegas with Continental airlines in November.
The holiday was booked through Tour America.

We specifically requested seats near the top of the plane, but now when I look up our booking we are not where we requested at all - in fact, for one of our flights, we are in row 37!
When I asked the tour operator about this, she said that 45% of the seats are released by the airline 24-hours before the flight, and that she would ring continental at that stage and ask them to change the seats.

Does anyone know how likely (or not) we are to be able to get seats in the first 10 rows in economy class if we try and get 2 of the 'released' seats 24 hours before the flight?

I'm really starting to panic, as this is a trip of a lifetime for us, and I feel it could be really spoiled by having terrible seats on the plane. I am not a great traveller and really only agreed to go on this holiday after Tour America promised us seats near the front. I find I'm not as queasy if I'm up front.

Has anyone changed seats with Continental 24 hours before flight time? Should I cancel?

Help!

i fly to newark with continental recently and when we were booking we got to choose are seats and these were the same ones we got on the plane. we booked directly on their website. i cant imagine if people get to pick their seats online that you can pick your seats 24hrs before hand but then again i dont honestly know. your best bet is prob to get in touch with tour america again and maybe get onto continental yourself, no harm

Continenental consider the seats toward the front of the plane to be "preferred seating" and to begin with they will only allocate it to their frequent flyers and the frequent flyers of their airline partners.

Closer to the date they will release some of these seats, timing depends on the airlines (Delta do it 48 hours before the flight date) so ask your travel agent to keep an eye out for the release in the hope of you moving up.

I would just call continental and ask for seats to be re-assigned.
In fact if you try booking the same itinerary you already have on their sites, you will have an option of viewing the seats and see what are available. I pulled the number below off their website, so always worth a try.
Dublin, Ireland

1890 925 252
1850 946 187 (OnePass Service Centre)
00 800 5555 8000 (continental.com Support)

I am also going to Newark with Continental around Halloween and chose the seats on their website. They reserve seats for their frequent fliers which they probably release closer to the date of travel if they're not taken up, so I expect that's what your tour operator is referring to.

You should have your booking number, which you can enter on the website and you should be able to access your booking and change your seat online.

Failing that, I would call Continental, who I have always found to be quite customer focussed.

Thanks for all the replies.

I have spoken with continental (didn't find the girl that helpful to be honest), and she just said that I should check back the day before the flight.
When I go online, there are no available seats together further up than row 17, even though the girl from Continental said there would be some made available the day before the flight. She didn't seem to want to or be able to allocate seats to me now.

The girl from Tour America has assured me that its is very likely I will be able to change seats the day before and that she has spoken with Continental and they have noted our request.

I just hope it works!

hello,

I'm really starting to panic, as this is a trip of a lifetime for us, and I feel it could be really spoiled by having terrible seats on the plane.

I understand the difference in getting off the plane first if you are at the front of the plance but what is the difference in seating at the front or near the back? Is the legroom different? What is so terrible about these seats?

Just rang continental this morning and got seats changed on four flights no problem. We are one pass members and that makes all the difference. go on the site join one pass and jot down the membership numbers then ring 1850 946187 ext 3 and they should help you. Continental really look after their regular customers. Reg the difference next time you are on a plane take a walk from the top to the bottom. the noise behind the wing is much louder than in front.

I just read the first entry in this post I think that the problem is that you booked the flights through tour America and not directly with continental they prob purchase a block of seats from continental and get a good price for the bad seats.

yes it's free and it also means if you ever miss a connection due to the first plane being late you are one of the first to be rebooked on the next flight to your destination