Continenal to Newark

mell61

I'm flying with Continental to Newark in January, and wondering if anyone can advise me of a couple of things:
Do Continental have back of seat entertainment system or is it the usual 1 screen per 10 rows?
As we do immigration in Dublin, how long should it take to clear customs and baggage when we arrive, as I'm looking at booking a car to collect us (JFK can be up to 1 hour).
How do people rate Continental to travel with, so far I've normally travelled to the US with BA = excellent, Aer Lingus = average, Delta = dreadful!

Flew last May to Newark with Continental so will answer your questions based on that...don't know if there have been changes since.

No back of seat screens..only the usual one per 10 rows unfortunately.

We got through baggage and customs (bit of a queue here) in about 40mins or so.

I would rate them as average. There is only one aisle on the plane with three seats either side, so I ended up in the middle with my boyfriend on one side and a stranger on the aisle, who we had to disturb if we wanted the loo etc. Also, when meals etc were being served, it was impossible to walk around as one and only aisle was blocked. On the plus side, the headrest bends round to support your head on both sides if you want to have a snooze without falling all over the person beside you, and the meal service/drinks etc was quite good.

flown with continental to newark before. as far as I remember, screens are every 3 rows or so. Flight was fine : 3 seats in each row. Fed twice. Cant remember anything bad about it so that must be good.

Continental are pretty ok to deal with but the planes they use are tiny compared to A330 or 767 that the other airlines use. Try checking in earlier and you might get the first row of seats or an exit row for more legroom. Queues at Newark are largley dependant on the number of flights that arrive there at a specific time. Last time we arrived there there was absolutley no queue. The time before it took 30 mins. Luck of the draw.

Flew with them last week.

As stated Screen every few rows and yes planes are standard 3*3. Must say the food was good and plenty of drinks offered.You can check out the films they will be showing on their website.

In Newark th eonly delay is getting your bags. Small queue at customs where they simply collect the "Blue & White Forms" thankfully no immigration. Took us about 30 mins to get are bags and get out.

Beoing 737 is their standard plane. Felt it was very cramped. That said, because the plane is small, there is less luggage to get on/off and so the exit in Newark is quicker

Just back from Newark couple of days ago with Continental. Have to say it was a bit like flying longhaul with Ryanair !! The plane is the same size as ones used for short haul European flights. Even though they suggest you get up and move around the cabin during the flight there is absolutely no way to do so. The crew got really mad with people blocking the aisles while they were going up and down with their trollies. At one point the captain put on the seat belt sign even though there was no turbulence - we reckoned it was just to get people to stay in their seats - it didn't work despite several appeals from the crew for people to remain seated !! I found the food awful (but then again most airline food is). I would suggest eating before you get on board or waiting till you get off. You are given one free soft drink with your meal but anything alcoholic is charged at $5 a pop. I do think the could give you at least one drink with your meal. If nothing else but to numb the pain of being on such an uncomfortable flight.

I thought I would never get off the plane to get some fresh air and be able to stretch my legs. I definitely wouldn't recommend them and won't be flying with them again.

Continental fly Boeing 757's (not 737's) to Newark - the newer aircraft have seat back video screens. I have travelled on Continental aircraft with individual screens and ceiling drop down television screens so its down to the aircraft in service on the particular day.

You should have no problem in collecting your bags and clearing customs in under an hour of arrival.

Continental are a no frills airline like all the US majors.

Back