Contents Insurance for Foreign Property

glynner

Having purchased a property recently abroad, we need to insure the contents. The building insurance is included in our yearly management fee. we would like the contents including fixtures and fittings covered by insurance against accidental cover, thieft etc...

I have only started looking but so far i can only find one company advertising and they are english based, they are quoting €157.00 Per year, which i thought was dear as i have valued contents at €35,000, I got my house and contents insured for €325.00 rebuild €300,000 and contents €45,000 and i included accidental damage and lower excess! Am i correct in thinking this quote is dear?

€157 doesn't look too bad, but it depends on what country your property is located in. Most insurers have a minimum premium of €150. Keep an eye on the unoccupancy clause on the policy and what you are required to do when the property is vacant. I understand that a new overseas insurance policy is due to be launched next week in Ireland, so it might be worth holding out for a week or so and then contacting your broker.

Thanks for that, i have only been looking on net so will there be much advertisment about it do you think as i have not got a broker

I understand that most brokers will be advised of this within the next week or so. I'm not sure if this will be advertised in the public domain. Hope this helps and best of luck with the foreign property.

Back