Contents Insurance for a council house.

R

Rolivia

I rent a house from the local council and they insure the building, however I am looking for insurance for the contents and hope someone here can help me out.
I've spent quite a bit on decorating the house and I'm wondering in the event of a fire would contents insurance cover things like tiling, wooden flooring, blinds and curtains,fitted kitchen etc... I know that insurance will cover furniture and personal belongings but tbh the decor would probably be as expensive to replace as my possesions.

Any suggestions or recommendations ?

Re: Contents Insurance for a council hoouse.

A contents policy will basically cover what you would take with you if you moved again. So a free standing fridge would be covered but usually an integrated fridge would be deemed to be part of the buildings and would have to be covered under the building insurance, saying that each contents policy may have slightly different wording, so you need to look through the T & C's before buying. You will need to check the councils buildings insurance policy to see if the policy covers tenants improvements\fixtures etc. Also you need to make sure that the council is noting a correct rebuilding cost for the property that takes into account your improvement.

www.powerinsurances.ie

I am in a council house too and have contents insurance with Quinn. FBD wouldnt give us a quote as they dont do contents only, so Quinn was the one we went with.

This is exactly the problem I have. I've spent €1000's on fitted wardrobes , fitted kitchen, bathroom fittings etc.. The problem is if these are destoyed by fire the council will not replace them. Is there a contents policy that will cover them ?

I am in a council house too and have contents insurance with Quinn. FBD wouldnt give us a quote as they dont do contents only, so Quinn was the one we went with.

I did try Quinn and got a very reasonable quote. But they were unable to tell me whether the items I mentioned above were covered.