Contemporary Stairs

gary c

Hi, in our new build, we want straight flight of stairs and are looking to put in a contemporary stairs -combination of wooden risers and metal/glass banister. Finding it hard to source somewhere in Ireland who do this? Any recommendations and any ball-park figures of what this could cost? Have a dreadful feeling I have totally under-budgeted for this one......

I assume your stairs is concrete. I had the same difficulty and went for tile instead using porcelain thread tiles. The glass and stainless steel balustrading is expensive - approx. 400 euros per metre for a horizontal run. The diagonal for a stairs is more expensive. If you are in the west try Galway Stainless 091 757927 (no affiliation just satisfied customer). If you're located elsewhere don't worry - the products don't have much variation - see [broken link removed]

Hi, we're after the same sort of thing and have got one quote from a crowd in Kilkenny - Stapleton Engineering. Stairs looks gorgeous but is a little too expensive for us. Quote comprises of Mildsteel staircase structure complete with plates to take timber treads (not included); stainless steel tubular balustrade legs with toughened glass infill panels and stainless steel tubular handrail; option for leather over stainless steel handrails, and stainless steel and glass with tubular handrail to 1st floor landing area. Euro11,842 plus VAT plus timberwork. Could click you on a photo of something similar if interested.

There are loads of companies doing this sort of thing now so getting a competitive quote shouldn't be too difficult once you have a proper drawing to begin with. I've worked with Stapleton's (Kilkenny) in the past and they are very good- top class work and attention to detail. They produce good shop drawings and if you spend the time to study these you'll be able to iron out any potential problems. They're not cheap though. I've also experience of other fabricators; but to be honest you get what you pay for, the devil is in the detail with this sort of work and Stapleton's are up there with the best of them. Another crowd worth talking to is Euromech (midlands based). I've no connections with either of these two companies.

I've just ordered a pair of stairs c/w landings (2) and matching child gate made to match, from Maple & stainless, from Brookwood http://www.brookwood.ie/ ....I could go see - and climb ! - stairs in their showroom. I really, really liked the finishes and options, and am looking forward to it arriving.....about 6 weeks from now.

The guy there is Brendan, and he was most accomodating - came to us evening time, kept shop open in the eve for us to see, and didn't take long to price up.

I'll keep you posted, as they say...........

Hi galwaytt, had a look at website and is very interesting. Some lovely designs alright. Could you give me an idea of how much this cost you?

No prob - both stairs, 2 x landings, 1 x child gate made to match (to basement), Eur 14.4k.

Pics of the one we're getting, and the various styles of newells/spindles, etc.

Stairs 1.jpg

Stairs 2.jpg

Stairs 3.jpg

Stairs 4.jpg

Stairs 5.jpg

they look good, but we were informed (by a stair company) that any "horizontal" bars on banisters or landings are not compatible with current building regulations (makes sense as it's basically a ladder)

don't know 100% if it's true or not (we're probably going for glass/perspex) but you may want to make sure

this style is often seen in brochures for companies importing from Poland and the like

SSE

Last edited:
thanks for the info galwaytt. Might call on these and get quotation for ours.....
Will double-check regulations sse.

Saw some lovely stairs by tribecastairs.com at the Galway show. Looked quite contemporary with some examples of metal detail - did not see glass though. Not sure how pricey they are - walnut stairs were fantastic. I've asked for a quote but suspect they could be way off beam.

Saw [broken link removed] at a show in Punchestown recently. Got a ball park price of €8k for the stairs I liked.

I'm aware of the regs, the actual style of the spindles in mine is vertical, not horizontal - the pic I showed is for the colour/timber. Yes, and mine is coming from Poland too.

Mind you, and it's a personal thing, the regs would not dissuade me one way or the other - we just liked the vertical stainless spindles with maple inlay, so we did a spot of mixing/matching on all the components.

You don't hear of hordes of european's killing themselves on shorter/steeper/shinier/open riser/horizontal railed stairs...........so you'd have to question the sometimes nanny ideas out there on things like this, sometimes.

btw, you can have horizontal rails - they just need to be mounted off-plane, i.e. with the handrail inside the plane of the rail - leaning in, if you like. An example of this in a public space is the boardwalk on the liffey, iirc, and the new pedestrian bridge across the river Corrib at Wolfe Tone bridge, in Galway........

Galwaytt has a point about the building regs and "the nanny state"; the regs state that a guarding (to a stairs or landing) must not be "readily climbable", so the examples cited are a response to this. As for eschewing the regs in private homes I wouldn't think this is a good idea, for a number of reasons. First off the Part K Stairways regs are a minimum standard and draughted so as to "afford safe passage" and "protect users from risk of falling" where stairways, ramps, ladders and guards are concerned. There are a number of serious accidents and accasionally deaths in relation to trips and falls on stairs every year, throughout the world; indeed there have been a few high profile cases where children have fallen out of windows etc which were not properly guarded etc. Properties which are built with features that are not in compliance with building regs can be impossible to sell later as a "certificate of compliance with building regulations" cannot be obtained. Where someone has an accident on a stairs and seeks to make a personal injury claim the appropriate building regulations can be used to mount a defence. We are all familiar with the "treacherous" pools, stairs, balconies etc we see when on package holidays in Europe , so I'm quite happy that we have good regulations that work here.

[broken link removed]
No connection but the Batwing there can be got for around 6k fitted.

Alastair - I came across the Kengott book, but I gave up trying to get a price out of their agents here. They are obviously only interested in local work, and if they're that awkward to get a quote out of, I'd hate to think how hard they'd be to get a stairs out of.............

Carpenter - I agree, up to a point. But you cannot legislate for all eventualities - if such were the case we'd ban both cars and alcohol to cure drink driving.........and that is patently silly. And sometimes the regs are just plain daft - the whole velux/fire escape route thing comes to mind.

And as for the cert (compliance with PP) - that only applies for the instant it is written. Get a cert now, change one detail, and the cert is invalid. There is no dynamic cert process, so to state that because a cert exists, that everything is hunky dory, can be erroneous. Not maliciously so, it just is. And you'll find that engineers and architects certs are usually couched so, as well..........

Back