Containers for composting garden trimmings

Toby

Can anyone tell me the options available for composting garden trimmings. I'd like something to put hedge and grass cuttings into that is enclosed so not dangerous for kids and doesn't overflow to create mess around garden. Thanks.

Toby,

I can't tell you what to get but I can tell you to avoid the cheapo green plastic type. I got one from woodies and having followed all the relevant advice about layering etc. I got rid of it as nothing had actually composted. I'm of the opinion that there wasn't enough heat in the composter, I know you can get liquid accelerators but surely that defeats the purpose of an 'all natural' recycling process...!?

r2d2

You can buy a purpose-built plastic container in places like B&Q etc, or you can do what I did which was to get 3 pallets, construct a square with them against a wall, line them with chicken-wire, put a lid on top and although it'll take longer to compost than the bin would, it'll get the job done eventually. I seem to remember seeing websites which advise on how best to compost.

Toby,

I can't tell you what to get but I can tell you to avoid the cheapo green plastic type. I got one from woodies and having followed all the relevant advice about layering etc. I got rid of it as nothing had actually composted. I'm of the opinion that there wasn't enough heat in the composter, I know you can get liquid accelerators but surely that defeats the purpose of an 'all natural' recycling process...!?

r2d2
If you mean then it works fine for me. Bought one cheap from the Corpo about 10 years ago and it's been going strong since then. Perhaps you were not creating the correct sort of mix (e.g. there was too much of one type of material)? Ours is even in a shaded part of the garden rather than one that catches the sun and it still seems to reach a temperature sufficient for composting. My big problem is that I'm too lazy to turn the contents with a garden fork regularly and when I dump fruit/veg peelings on top we get a bumper crop of fruit flies. I keep saying that I must be more methodical about turning the heap to avoid this slight problem... :eek:

Urine is a natural accelerator, so next time you're caught short!:D

PS easier if you're a man!

Yeah - have done that too! :D

We're not going to get into a peeing contest are we??:D

In answer to the OP, if all you intend to put into it is hedge and grass clippings, you'll end up with a smelly wet heap! The bin has to be layered with different types of waste and turned every couple of months. The plastic bins are perfectly ok but I'd make sure to get the one with an opening in the bottom, so that you can shovel compost out beneath while still composting on top.

r2d2...Your bin was too dry and you shoud have taken a leaf (no pun intended) out of Clubman's book!!

r2d2...Your bin was too dry and you shoud have taken a leaf (no pun intended) out of Clubman's book!!

When I was told to go to the toilet on it I did't realise they meant urine....ooopps...:D

When I was told to go to the toilet on it I did't realise they meant urine....ooopps...:D

Or poops as the case may be!:eek: On second thoughts......I suppose it's all good...home produced manure....handy hint for those with septic tanks????:D

I just need somewhere to dump hedge and lawn cuttings so maybe its not a composte heap I need then. We have an insinkerator for food waste. So whats the best way to dump garden trimmings without having them visible? Thanks.

Hedge trimmings can sometimes take a long time to break down particularly if they are woody. When I said layer the bin, this can be done with newspapers...might save you a few bob on green bin charges too. If you have a brown bin, put them in there. If all else fails they can be taken to a number of council waste sites.

Maybe one of those wood chipper type devices which grinds the stuff down into a finer consistency might be useful? And then you might be able to more easily compost and dispose some of it?

I have one of these. They do the job alright but you have to wait till the material dries out somewhat. Then it takes hours unless you get an industrial type one which isn't really suitable/affordable for the home.

Mine stands covered in plastic since the day the novelty wore off!!

Last edited:
If you've got a lot of cuttings, there are companies who will call to the house with industrial shredders, shred it there and then and cart it off with them. If you don't have enough to justify that, investigate the local authority offerings.
Leo

Thanks, have a shredder and it works but just means another piece of work to do at the end of the cutting. Not enough stuff to get someone else to collect.

Liteweight, whats a brown bin?

Dublin City Council have supplied us with brown (colour) bins, in which we put all vegetable peelings, leftover food, etc. It's collected every two weeks, which is not often enough as it stinks and attracts flies no matter how tightly you put the lid down.

Back