Contact Planning Authorities

PGD1

Hi,

I am looking to buy a piece of land, not for development,and I have a query about a gate position that I need to run by the local planning authorities (Wicklow).

Anyway, the receptionists won't give out direct contact details for the person but I have left 4 messages over a 2 week period and have not been contacted.

Am I doing something wrong?
Is there a secret process to follow?

Any help greatly appreciated.

When you say you;ve left message for 'the person' do you mean the owner of the land or the council department in charge?

The planner.

All I need to know is if I can put a gate up in a certain position.

I asked the receptionist did I need to do anything different to get to talk to this person and she said no but after 2 weeks...... it seems to me that either a) these planners are all overworked and I just have to wait longer or b) there is a special way those in the know have.

I see no reason why they won't give you a direct number for the planner. I had a similar issue some time ago and they gave me planning guy's mobile number although this was through a different council so perhaps its just down to the individual on reception. I'd keep pushing reception for a direct line or you could try putting the query in writing and send by registered letter.

the only way of getting a response from wicklow cc is go down.
wait til they see you.
trust me!

Ok so I rang them today (my wife had been ringing before).

I told them I need to move a gate which would be facing a main road and that I needed to understand if I needed planning permission etc etc or if I could just talk to somebody.

The response was that it would need to be a full planning application.

Now, if that's the case then fine. However is it not normal that it's case by case? Am I not able to meet with somebody in advance and have them look at the situation?

The story is that the land had a gate fronting onto the road.
The road was realigned and part of the land now has a large verge between it and the new road.
The owner of this verge put up a gate... so my gate is now inside his land.

All I want to do is put up a new gate about 5 foot away from the old gate. I will front onto a verge about 25 foot wide.

Does this sound like something that needs a full planning permission? Considering the land already had a gate onto the road and there is now another gate there.

Your's cluelessly.....

If I wanted to move a gate about 10 foot along a fence so that I had access off a road, and was told I needed planning permission for this....

can somebody give me an overview of what is involved in getting this permission and how much it would cost?

If I wanted to move a gate about 10 foot along a fence so that I had access off a road, and was told I needed planning permission for this....

can somebody give me an overview of what is involved in getting this permission and how much it would cost?

Yes, a local civil engineer.

I'm just looking for a ballpark from anybody who has done this before. I'm not doing the work myself. The sellers seems to be reluctant to sort this out before the sale so I am just wondering if this is a €500, or €5000 job to fix.

If the answer is "it depends" then I guess what I'm asking it what is the ballpark cost on the most simple of applications?

Thanks. I have instructed my solicitor to tell them I'm pulling out unless they can do something about it. It shouldn't really be a problem for them, and I'm prepared to wait while they sort it out.

Thanks for the info... when you've never been through this or don't know anybody who has then it can be daunting....

Here's what you do:

You build your gate! You should never have gone near the council. You didn't need permission and now that they have said that you do they have taken a position that they need to defend.

Keep quiet and reinstate your gate. Better yet, have the current owners reinstate the gate.

Back