Consumer-level face-mask Prices (Wearing Face Masks in Public)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used my mask in Dunnes Stores today. About 50% of the shoppers were wearing a mask. None of the staff were wearing a mask. The staff were all busy packing shelves or standing in groups of three talking to each other/ receiving instructions from their manager.

At the entrance to the store there was someone wiping down the trolleys. The queuing system was good. Hand sanitiser plus gloves available. Spacing well marked on the ground.

A woman queued outside observing the 2 meter distancing....but inside the shop she came and stood right next to me....I just needed 30 seconds to do what I had to do but she just couldn't wait.

I felt uncomfortable with so many staff about. They outnumbered the customers in the shop by two to one. Lots of empty shelves at 8.45 am. Lots of boxes piled high with stock waiting to be put on shelves. Why can the staff not come in an hour before opening to deal with this.

In contrast my local Lidl has the shelves already packed and ready to go.

Lots of boxes piled high with stock waiting to be put on shelves. Why can the staff not come in an hour before opening to deal with this.

In contrast my local Lidl has the shelves already packed and ready to go.

I can never understand people complaining about this. Shelves need to constantly filled. A lot of supermarkets get vast amounts of delivery right up to opening time and beyond. Retail staff don't just pop into work at 8am if the shop is opening at 8am. And of course there will be probably be more staff than customers. It was 8.45am. Go later in the day if you think it will be more comfortable.

Given the advice from government re: wearing masks, given that the staff are IN their workplace, surprised supermarkets haven't rolled out mandatory mask use as an elf and safety measure...

Given the advice from government re: wearing masks, given that the staff are IN their workplace, surprised supermarkets haven't rolled out mandatory mask use as an elf and safety measure...

Yeah I don't get that either. Can't blame people for thinking there is mixed messages about masks.

I can never understand people complaining about this. Shelves need to constantly filled. A lot of supermarkets get vast amounts of delivery right up to opening time and beyond. Retail staff don't just pop into work at 8am if the shop is opening at 8am. And of course there will be probably be more staff than customers. It was 8.45am. Go later in the day if you think it will be more comfortable.
Last Wednesday, the fruit and vegetable section had 90% nil stock. This Wednesday about 30% stock. Stock piled in boxes about the place and nil staff taking the stock from the boxes. If the shop is open at 8 am, I don't see why some staff can start at 7 a.m. Fresh items need to be on the shelves before other items.
I will be changing my Wednesday shop at Dunnes Stores to a Wednesday shop at Lidl. They can manage it despite your excuses for Dunnes above.

Last Wednesday, the fruit and vegetable section had 90% nil stock. This Wednesday about 30% stock. Stock piled in boxes about the place and nil staff taking the stock from the boxes. If the shop is open at 8 am, I don't see why some staff can start at 7 a.m. Fresh items need to be on the shelves before other items.
I will be changing my Wednesday shop at Dunnes Stores to a Wednesday shop at Lidl. They can manage it despite your excuses for Dunnes above.

They are not my excuses as I don't care where you shop as I don't belong to the Dunne family. I have yet to see another supermarket that isn't packing shelves. Indeed Lidl and Aldi probably do it more than the others because their business model is based on high quick stock turnover where they leave boxes of their stock on the shop floor. You are free to shop wherever you want and if Dunnes don't have what you are looking for, then shop elsewhere. Maybe the reason there was no fresh produce at 8.45am is a problem with deliveries rather than lazy staff

But if you honestly think that there are no staff in store at 7am if a shop opens at 8, you obviously never worked in retail.

But if you honestly think that there are no staff in store at 7am if a shop opens at 8, you obviously never worked in retail.
Whether a poster has/has not worked has nothing to do with a customer's expectation of that business. Is retail getting like the HSE (pick any other arm of or organ of government) where it is run for the benefit of the employees rather than the needs of the clients?

Whether a poster has/has not worked has nothing to do with a customer's expectation of that business. Is retail getting like the HSE (pick any other arm of or organ of government) where it is run for the benefit of the employees rather than the needs of the clients?

Eh? He said staff should be in work a hour earlier than opening to stock shelves. I am simply saying does he think supermarket employees rock up in their coats at 8am for an 8am opening? Have an expectation of a business based in reality at least. If his expectation is that every supermarket shelve is always filled for his 8.45 shop, then fair enough. Find a a shop that meets that. Loads out there. But making it sound like a multi billion euro turnover business like Dunnes hasn't thought about having staff in a hour earlier than opening to prepare the store is just plain daft.

Your exact words were "you obviously never worked in retail." My point stands and his/her expectations are clear. Don't go all Trump-ey on us and start back tracking like the "I never said inject disinfectant" type nonsense. You said "you obviously never worked in retail" as if that could have any relevance to the poster's expectations as a customer of a retail business.

Your exact words were "you obviously never worked in retail." My point stands and his/her expectations are clear.

Expectations of service as a customer and understanding of work practices are two very different things.

Your exact words were "you obviously never worked in retail." My point stands and his/her expectations are clear. Don't go all Trump-ey on us and start back tracking like the "I never said inject disinfectant" type nonsense. You said "you obviously never worked in retail" as if that could have any relevance to the poster's expectations as a customer of a retail business.

Makes sense. :rolleyes:

Also they weren't my exact words. You edited my sentence. So now I will go all Trump on you. FAKE NEWS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back