consultant in St James' private clinic yesterday. I was asked for the €200 fee by the

Re: consultant in St James' private clinic yesterday. I was asked for the €200 fee by

When I was pregnant I paid 2000 euro for my consultant and that was paid in agreed installments. I had the choice of 2 irish doctors or one foreign one and chose the foreign one because he was the best.

Re: consultant in St James' private clinic yesterday. I was asked for the €200 fee by

I had an appointment with a consultant in St James' private clinic yesterday. I was asked for the €200 fee by the receptionist before I even met the consultant. Is this normal?

Not sure if it's normal but a consultant told me 2 yrs ago that she was down about 10k a year from people not paying for their consultations. Left the wallet at home was the excuse most of the time. Regardless of what they earn 10K is 10K.

Maybe she gets clients to pay up front now.

I can accept that private clinics are fed up of invoicing people who don't bother to pay. However, I felt they could have waited until I was on my way out to ask for the money. My GP or dentist's surgery have never asked me to pay on arrival, before I've even seen the doctor or had my filling.

Regardless of certain third level institutes desire to earn money from non-EU students, I cant understand how foreign medical students get immigration permits to undertake the courses?

I thought that immigration permits relating to work/professions are only given out where there is a shortage in the EU? There is no shortage of Irish and EU students who have the requirements and who are applying to do medicine in Irish universities. Surely non-EU applicants should not be given permits to study here unless there are more places that Irish/EU applicants? With the dire shortage of doctors in this country it makes no sense for the majority of the places in our medical courses to go to non-EU students?

What is even more scandalous is the recent case that went to court where an Irish applicant who had superiour qualifications than the majority on non-EU applicants was denied a place on a medicine course even though he was willing to pay the non-EU rate of fees.

You are approaching this from the wrong direction. You are assuming that there are so many places, they should be given to Irish students first, then non EU students. This is not what happens. The places available for Irish students are fixed, and the non-EU places are independent of the Irish places. The non-EU places are real moneyspinner. And of course, student visas are different to working visas. The non-EU students are doing our universities a favour, not the other way round.

The shortage of doctors is a manufactured position, and the blame does not lie with the foreign students. You might look at the doctors' cartel (ummmm association) for the reasons. Consultants here have it sewn up, and are absurdly well paid in comparison to other European countries.

Spot on.