Construction work on a bank holiday

rush

There is a new housing estate being constructed over the fence from my house. At 8 this bank holiday morning, JCB and dumper truck were making an unbelievable racket. It sounded like they were going to crash through my bedroom wall. I asked them could they leave it to a 'working' day as people would like to get some rest on a bank holiday but they ignored me. They were at it a couple of Sundays ago also.

Is there any law against this or are builders allowed to work any day or time they want in residential areas.

Thanks

It's not a bank holiday in the north, so if the builders are northern then they have to work today. If they are not northern, maybe they are under pressure to get the job done and the few sundays and bank holidays make a difference. Remember that this is the 4th bank holiday in less than 3 months.

Last edited:
Even if they are from the North they still have to abide by the planning regulations in the South. They wont get an exemption because they are not resident in the South.

Ok, but surely they also have to abide by employment legislation in the north.

The restrictions on the planning permission are applicable to the particular site, so whether the contractors are from the Republic or the North is irrelevant.

You are lucky that you had the day off, It was a bank holiday and not a public holiday, there are no restrictions.

Sometimes it happens that Dublin City Council impose working hour restrictions but if there has been an appeal to An Bord Pleanala then this body don't always impose restrictions on working hours and their conditions override the City Council.

Back