Considering Emmigrating to the Oregon in the US

triple_x

Hi,

I have been headhunted for a job with Intel in OREGON , USA and with the current economic situation in IRELAND I am considering it seriously....

This is a daunting task - emigrrating to the US.... I will have sponsorship but am looking for advice on this whole idea....

1) Family Buyin is a must and I would probably have to go over myself first for a number of months to settle in and work out the new 'culture shock'

2) I dont know anything about OREGON at all ? I have worked in Illinois, Phoenix Arizona before for 3 month stints but not full time...

3) Advice on the whole emigratting process.

At the moment am considering and really at the 1st steps but would definitely bite somebody's hand off to talk to someone who has done this already (emigratting to the US) or if I am lucky (an Irish professional who has emiggratted to OREGON)?

Best Regards
Morgan

Not the info you were looking for Morgan, but its all I've got!!

Friend of my husband went there a good few years back and he never came back. He loves it...he's in Portland...bought the camper van, travels about at the weekend and on hols...he bought into it completely even though he's a committed Irish man! We're heading over there this July for 2 weeks

Best of luck with the research.

I've travelled over and back to Oregon a lot in recent years with work. I also brought the family over for 18 months back in 2006/2007 on a work placement. Oregon is a beautiful state and Portland is a really nice city. They get a wet enough winter but that is no problem to an Irish person. Their summer is really beautiful though - guaranteed sunshine for at least three months evey year. My kids were aged 4 and 5 when I went over and they adapted very quickly to the american schools, playdates etc. It is obviously a decision that only you and your family could make, but my wife and I would go back in the morning given the chance.

Thanks good feedback nonetheless....

Interested in any "lessons learnt" he might have? If you get a chance to ask
Thanks

Have a look at [broken link removed] you may find some good info there in the USA section.Good luck!

I emigrated to Pennsylvania 8 years ago. You have a great opportunity ahead of you. I moved over on an intracompany L2 visa, after a couple of extensions and new classifications of visas the green cards finally came in after 5 years. My advice is... apply for your Green Card ASAP, so you can stay in the US on your visas while waiting for your permanent residency to process. Be prepared to return home on occasion to renew visas. A large company like Intel will have access to immigration lawyers to make the process easy, I highly recommend having a GOOD lawyer for this process. Oregon is known for being a very "Liberal" state, and the weather will be comparable to Ireland, oceanic.

Having grown up in Ireland, I didn't notice much of a culture shock, personally I think we're closer to America culturally than most of Europe. I find Americans extremely friendly, and very neighborly. Enjoy yourself, and congratulations on the opportunity.