Considerations when designing front gate

Toby

Need front gate in Dublin and trying to decide what we want. The requirements are:
- privacy, as our front room is pretty close to the gate so its a fishbowl.
- safety for kids playing in garden - so they can't run onto road or get "abducted"(call me paranoid!)

Increased security would also be nice but we're not sure if we'd keep them closed all the time so this may not be relevant. Anyway, would closed gates really put off intruders, or would they just attract them through perceived wealth etc?

Can't decide how I feel about those big tall solid wood gates. While they meet all of the above requirements I don't want to be percieved as aloof. So many houses have no gates at all it seems over the top to make a fortress of your little semi-d. However, this type seems the only option to offer privacy for the house.

Any opinions? Its a big investment so want to get it right.

Good idea might be to take a look around at what's available, and choose a style you like, you're going to be looking at them for some considerable time, so make sure you like them. [broken link removed] have a range of styles on their site, that'd be a good start. There are many other suppliers, so shop around.

Closed gates will act as a deterrant to a casual burglar, much easier slip in through an open gate without being noticed. Won't stop a determined one though.
Leo