Conservatory Roof

F

Frankl

Hi All has anyone any ideas on changing the conservatory roof from poloycarbonate, which is bitter cold this weather, to a more conventional insulated style.

Hi Frankl

Was thinking of doing the same thing but I figure it would mean throwing out the perfectly good windows to make way for steel members to hold up the solid roof. Our house is a bungalow so a pitched roof would have to be tied into the existing roof. Total cost could amount to €20,000 for 120 sq feet area.

what do you do, spend the capital sum and hope to make savings on heating or pump in the heating and eliminate further capital costs or... do not heat or use the room in winter as is our current practice.

To be fair the room heats easily and is quite cosy when the rad is on. But when is goes off the room cools within 15 minutes. We do use it on occasions and it can be very pleasant on sunny days in mid winter, even with no heat. Problem is when you want to make the sunroom 'open plan' with, say, your kitchen. Can't not use the kitchen too!!!

I am going to remove the window between the kitchen and sunroom and hope for the best. If that fails will be forced to spend the money.

Thanks for your reply beaky.
I wonder are the Thomas Sanderson Blinds any good, although I know they are quite expensive.

I contacted them. They quoted me almost €5k and couldn't give me satisfactory info on how well the blinds would keep heat in. Told me how well it would keep the sun out to avoid an overheated sun-room and faded furniture etc... They were nice enough about it all but hard to get the message across to them that I was not interested any more, lots of follow up calls from England. Too pricy and may not be the answer to a heat retention problem IMO.

Thanks again beaky.
I have a carpenter coming to see it tonight I'll see how he gets on.

hi frank
You have a timber conservatory?
If so how old is it?
Is the polycarbonate bouble glazed?
If so you could change it to tinted k glass or something simular it could be quite costly but would be much cheaper if the structure is sound.
You would find this out from your local glazier.

Back