connections in Amsterdam?

BoscoTalking

Please advise - I have to take a plan from Dublin Amsterdam and then have one hour to get the connecting Amsterdam Maylasia flight.
Is one hour very short? Is it like Heathrow with miles between terminals?

Schiphol airport is very easy to navigate, but 1 hour is cutting things tight. If everything is on schedule I think you will be fine, but if there is any sort of delay in your flight into Amsterdam......

Are both flights on the same ticket? If they are on the same ticket and your first flight is delayed it will be up to airline in Amsterdam to sort out an alternative to getting to Malaysia, i.e. another flight same day or following day etc. If you booked everything on the same ticket and the booking system allowed a one hour connection, then a one hour connection is legal and possible, though very tight.

If on the other hand they are not on the same ticket i.e. you bought one ticket for Amsterdam to Malaysia and a separate ticket for Dublin to Amsterdam, then you are screwed if there are any hiccups and you get delayed. If I buy separate tickets I usually allow 3hrs connection time.

Amsterdam is only a single (albeit very big) terminal. If your plane disembarks on time an hour is ok but you could have checked baggage problems.
However I have found that sometimes depending on which runway is in use the taxiing time there after landing can be up to 25 minutes. Schipol is notorious for this. Can you not get an earlier flight or the night before and stay at the airport?

I am dreaming - hoping that if that is the case they still only have the same 35 min to move the bags as i will to get to the gate??
ish...

Are both flights on the same ticket or was the booking made through 2 seperate transactions (one with Aer Lingus and one with Malaysia Airlines or KLM?)

There was one flight return booked (so it is one ticket each way but 6 individual flights).
2 connections on the way out to Sydney - the first between airlines in Amsterdam - Aer Lingus and KLM and then in Malaysia its KLM -KLM on to Sydney with a 6 hour delay.

No problem so as you are on a KL ticket all the way. It should only take about 20 mins to get from one gate to the next in Schipol. When you disembark the Aer Lingus plane there will be a KLM person at the top of the ramp. Tell them your flight and they will radio ahead to say you are on the way. If they know your are enroute through the airport they will probably hold the flight.

If you are concerned, you could arrange to sit at the front of the Dub-Ams leg so as to get off the plane quickly.

Back