Connection to water mains

InfoSeeker

Hi,

I am having a house built at the moment in Cork but the location of the house is not within the main water system.

Has anyone dealt with this before and if so can they pass on any info?

I assume that I have to contact some department in the County Council and explain the situation.

Presumably you've got Permission for a bored Well?
Who got your Planning for you, what did they write in the "How supplied with water" box of the Application Form, and what is drawn on the Site Layout plan?

Thanks for the replies;

Condition 12 of planning registration number 05/5966 it states “ connection shall be made to the public water supply to the satisfaction of the Council’s Area Engineer”

The water mains are in our area so I presume I have to apply for a licence to get an opening in the road and to get the builder to run the pipe from the house to connect to the road and that this licence is obtained from the local council?

Hi Infoseeker, yes that's right, you will have to get a road opening licence. You will also have to ensure the person opening the road has a certain level of public liability insurance, the Co Council will tell you this requirement. The builder might have the insurance, might up their insurance or you will have to get a different contractor for this part. The contractor will also have to stand over (not literally ) the road opening for a period of time, if any holes/breaks appear they will have to repair them. The CoCo will tell you all this anyway.

You should check with the Co Co if your builder can actually tap into the main.
Some Co Co's insist that only co co plumbers/water overseers can do a connection i.e you pay for the road opening licience, you pay the guy on the excavator to expose the existing main, you supply the self tapping ferrule( its the connection that goes onto the main) the council guy then fits this even tho its a 3 min job.
As a prev poster said you are then responsible for backfilling and reinstating the excavation.
A wee bit of advice on that , dig as small a hole as possible and get lean mix concrete to back fill it up to 60mm to the top then put the macadam in. Concrete might be expensive but its not gonna sink too much as opposed to granular backfill.