connection speed - how to check

paddyodoors

Hi All

Can anyone tell me how to check what connection speed I am actually receiving.

I am on NTL starter and should have 2Mb downstream; 200k upstream - not that that means that much to me except 2mb is better than 1mb

However when I check the status of my connection it says speed 10.0 mbps....

Is this referring to only 1mb? or where is the 10 coming from?

Appreciate someone sharing a bit of science.

thanks Paddy

Probably your LAN connection, ie, the speed of your internal network. To get the speed of your internet connection go to www.speedtest.ie

Yes - 10Mbps is most likely the nominal speed from your PC to your router. To check your actual speed over the internet use the site linked above. On a 2Mbps/200Kbps (are you sure it's not 2Mbps/256Kbps?) link you should probably see about 1.6Mbps/210Kbps in practice on a working connection. the 2Mbps/256Kbps figures represent nominal maximum speed but due to various factors (e.g. protocol overhead including packet retries and latencies etc.) you never actually get this.

Anyone having speed issues with BT Broadband at the moment?

Service has seemed very slow for the last week and last night when I speed tested it (for the first time) I was getting a DL speed of 330 kbps and UL of 250 Kbps (approx) - this is on a BT package which is supposed to be 2MB DL and 246 K UL.

As per Clubmans post I know I will never come near having an actual speed of 2MB DL but 330 kbps seems a bit low !

As per Clubmans post I know I will never come near having an actual speed of 2MB DL but 330 kbps seems a bit low !
It is - especially if it's using one of the "local" Irish ISP speed testers mentioned above as opposed to some more remote website.

mine seems to have dropped from around 1.77 to just under 900 in this latest test. bt as well.