Connection problem - DVD to TV

stobear

I recently parked a Philips flat screen and DVD player in my front room.

32PFL7332 - DVP3020, I wish to connect these two with Ypb Pr cables -
I have set up both the dvd and tv, i initially connected the DVD using the Scart, no problem there.
I was supplied with component cables from the shop, so I wanted to use these instead to getter better sound and picture.
Reading the manuals I understand I have to select the YCB option on the DVD menu, when I do this and disconnect the scart I get a blue screen. Not sure if I am sequencing this correctly.
I did manage to get picture with the YCB cables but no sound, its not clear on the back of the TV which are the audio inputs, there is one input connection (digital input I believe) for two plugs. Which inputs should I use and is there a setup modification I need to make?

Usually when you select Ypb Pr on a DVD player there will be a confirmation screen shown on the Ypb Pr iput of the TV which you must answer before the Ypb Pr setting is locked in. It's so that if you can't see Ypb Pr signals, it reverts to RGB. So, after selecting Ypb Pr, switch to the Ypb Pr immediatlely and look for a message.

Some sets cannot handle all kinds of Ypb Pr signal, (e.g. 480p, 576p etc) so that's another possibility.

As to sound, there should be standard red/white audio inputs associated with the Ypb Pr on the TV. No TV I know has a digital input.

Thanks for the reply, I suceeded in getting a picture from the DVD player using only the Ypbpr cables. No sound though. I assume therefore the TV menu is setup to accept the Ypbpr signal.

I did try connecting the audio cables to the inputs at the side of the TV, and got sounds but no picture. I cant seem to get both at the same time though. The model of TV is a Philips 32PFL7332.

On a different note, which is the best method to get the NTL signal (quality wise) to the TV, again only the SCART cable seems to work, as opposed to the coax

There should be audio inputs corresponding to the YPBR, if not, maybe they're assuming you'd be using an external amp. For NTL digital, SCART is the only and best way.

I have that same TV and have hooked up the DVD like you want to. For audio there is a digital coaxial connection at the back underneath where the Scart sockets are. The connection is directly to the left of the normal yellow and red audio points. Assuming your DVD has a digital coaxial output you're in business ! You can get these cables in Harvey Norman for sure from 25 Euro to closer to 100 Euro if you want to spend that much.
Finally .... in the TV Menu / Installation there is an option for "Digital Audio" . You need to assign this to whatever "EXT" your DVD is hooked up to.
Hope this makes sense !

Thanks, with the free DVD they gave me two cable runs, one for audio and one for video, the audio cables they have me dont seem to work, hence my original post. I will track down one of these cables and set it up

Just looked up the spec of your DVD player ... it has Coaxial Digital Audio out .... so you should be fine.

Back