Connecting TV, VCR & DVD

Ash

Hi,

Am not really technically minded though I connected own tv set-up when it was simple components. But that was some years ago so it is all a bit hazy.

Despite this, an elderly neighbour has asked me to connect a new TV/vcr/dvd set-up for him. Reception is still by aerial. There's no cable or satellite involved.

He wants to do the following:

Watch TV
Record tv programmes onto VCR and watch playback on the TV
Play DVDs (the unit is play only) and watch on the TV
Play DVD and record to VCR

The TV has 2 scart connections
VCR has 2 scart connections
DVD (play only) has one scart connection

I dont want to come across as a complete know-nothing

Setting it up is still just 2 scart leads from the TV, one each to the VCR and the DVD, right?
That will mean all of the units will work as expected, right?

Simple option would be a 3 to 1 scart box selector they have them in argos for about €11. Just plug the scart part in to TV and the DVD and VHS into the selector box when your neighbour wants the DVD he just selects that option in the box and again for the VHS.
Perhaps someone else could come up with another idea for you...but that's how I would do it.

Setting it up is still just 2 scart leads from the TV, one each to the VCR and the DVD, right?
That will mean all of the units will work as expected, right?
That will allow him to watch Videos & DVDs.

To record TV to video he needs to connect the aerial to the VCR (coax-in) and use another coax cable from the VCR (coax-out) to the TV's aerial connection. (the channels would need to be tuned-in on both the TV and the VCR).

To record from DVD to VCR the scart cables (are you sure he want's this?). . not sure if this will work but the first scart would need to be connected from the DVD to the VCR(scart-in/loop) and the second scart from the VCR(scart-out) to the TV . . daisy-chained.