Connecting speakers into computer

red17

Question;Any idea how you can attach speakers from music system into computer?

Last edited by a moderator:
PC speakers have their own, small amplifier built-in — which is why they need a power supply — whereas your average home stereo speakers get their signal from the amplifier in the stereo itself. What you'll need to do is to connect the 'audio out' socket at the back of your computer to the 'aux(iliary) in' sockets at the back of your stereo unit — not directly to the speakers themselves.

The former is nearly always a standard 3.5mm stereo headphone socket; the latter will depend on what type of stereo system you have, but is probably a twin RCA jack. If so, there's a suitable cable for (item 12, p. 331 of the current Irish catalogue), but it's only a metre long. If you need more than that, try Maplins or Peats.

do you mean you want to use passive speakers from your hi-fi on your computer or do you want to route output from your music system to your computer?

Apologies, SirOurs, I've just merged red17's duplicate posts together mad: ), which is why your reply seems to ignore my own above

Thank you,Want to want to put speakers from music system into computer,Apologies if question was vauge

i don't think you can connect your passive stereo system speakers directly to your computer, you will need to go via an amp using the cable DrMoriarty linked to. This can be linked to your hifi by either Aux or any other source that accepts RCA phono inputs. The speakers are still connected to the hifi and the computer's audio is routed through by changing the source. or something like that.

here's a guide: [broken link removed]