Connecting new phone line

Sunster

Hi
Am moving to a new house and will need to connect to a phone service plus get broadband.
Had a chat with Eircom and they told me that it would take up to 4 weeks to get the phone line active! This seems an awfully long time. Is this true? Can any other company 'connect' my house?

As this is a new connect, have you thought about going wireless?
This would negate the need for monthly line rental.
Check out the following site to find the suppliers both landline and wireless in your area:
http://www.broadband.gov.ie/bbinfo/home.aspx

Also the time line for a new connection appears to be standard from my experience.

Crikey what do they do in those 4 weeks. Seems awfully inefficient. Thanks for te reassurance.

Ripwave is available, but I've heard this broadband service is quite unreliable.
I suppose if I want the phone line conected in the first place I have no option but to get eircom to do so?

Sunster said:
I suppose if I want the phone line conected in the first place I have no option but to get eircom to do so?

Yes, at the moment only Eircom can put the line into your house.

Sunster said:
Can you get sky installed without having a phone line?

Yes, Sky Digital and Sky+ work without a phone line. You will not be able to order additional services (Sky Box Office) through your remote without a phone line though. The 'Red Button' services generally all work.

Sky will not installed for free if you do not have a phone line. You can either be up front with a Sky reseller in your area and they will charge you for installation, I think it is around the €40 mark at the moment.

Or...you can chance playing dumb when the installer arrives and hope for the best! But it does work...

I think that BT Ireland can connect your phone line even if theres no phone line in place.