connecting new PC to internet for first time

legend99

Anyone know how you can connect a PC to the internet for the first time and avoid any virus issues hitting you straight away before you even have time to download the newest anti-virus software???

HighFlier said:
Buy it on a disk and load it
Be sure, even if taking this route, to get the updates as soon as you do log on to the net straight away. New updates can be made on a daily basis so no matter how good the software you buy, you should update ASAP.

Using the software suggestions available here on AAM (http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=3591), or on any other good/reputable site, you can have your PC secure in a short time and feel safe enough for your future browsing.

legend99 said:
Anyone know how you can connect a PC to the internet for the first time and avoid any virus issues hitting you straight away before you even have time to download the newest anti-virus software???

Is there a particular reason why you think you would get hit with a virus straight away?

I would have thought that if you had a firewall running (even the built in XP one should shield from incoming attacks) and take care with any attachments to emails that the chances of getting hit with a virus in the timeframe you are talking about would be very low.

the downside of a disk, as I found out the hard way, is that if you ever have to reinstall the system it will tell you that a new version is available and to use that disk. which of course you dont have, as you have renewed your subscription over the net. heads you lose, tails you lose, at least with Norton.

yea, i have a disk virus scanner. But thats out of date 10 minutes after its made if you know what I mean

Trust your firewall. If you're on dsl your modem probably has a built in firewall too, which you may be able to configure. Just don't click on those attachments!

Don't say that!!! Thats like showing me a big red button sayign don't push when you get the mad urge to just push it and see what happens!!!!!11

Back