Connecting iphone to car stereo for ipod music

ericsson

Just back from holiday where a friend of mine had a car charger for his iphone which also had a radio scanner thingy which meant when he tuned his radio into a certain radio station his iphone music would play through his car stereo speakers and he was also able to higher and lower the volume through the car radio. I was well impressed and meant to get one when i was over there however i completely forgot and now that im back in Ireland i was wondering has anybody ever seen one of these over here and if so where could i get my hands on one?

Thanks in advance
Ericsson

They are sold in Tesco at €19.99 or in Currys or most decent electrical / audio shops. They are called iTrips and are exactly what you have stated.

I had something similar for my Ipod. It worked well enough up to the point where, over long distance, the frequency was interrupted by local radio stations. Trying to find a new "free" frequency can be awkward and dangerous.

Some of the more recent options have a "clearscan" facility which (apparantly) automatically seeks a clear frequency throughout. They cost a bit more but would probably be worth it, especially if you're travelling around a bit.

i have something similar, just called and fm transmitter, but that works with any mp3 player or even phone that takes a standard headphone jack. it doesn't charge the music player, but runs off the cigarette lighter and you can play your music through the radio. I got mine a couple of years ago in maplin for £15 sterling, and bought one for a friend last year in hmv for about £25, and I love it to bits, have an old crappy car that only has a tape deck, so it's great being able to play my own music. They do vary in price a lot though, you can get bluetooth ones which sell for silly money!! you need to fiddle about a bit to get the best frequency and volume levels, but once you do the sound quality is great.