Connecting Flight

I

ispy1

I am booking a flight from London to New York via Shannon.
On the way back via Shannon I want to stop over at Shannon and not take connection flight back to London do I have to notify the airline or just get off in Shannon

If you're checking in bags you'll need to tell them when you're checking in as you wouldn't want to have your bag tagged through to London which they'd do by default .. you'll need to collect it in Shannon

I am booking a flight from London to New York via Shannon.
On the way back via Shannon I want to stop over at Shannon and not take connection flight back to London do I have to notify the airline or just get off in Shannon

If that's what you want to do you have to book a ticket that only returns to Shannon and not London. Otherwise you are liable (though possibly not likely) to have your credit card charged for any difference in the fare.

Airlines do not like people short-stopping and the terms & conditions of every airline I know say it's not permitted.

Here's an example from Delta's T&C

BACK TO BACK/THROWAWAY/HIDDEN CITY TICKETING- Delta specifically prohibits the practices
commonly known as: "BACK TO BACK TICKETING" - the issuance, purchase or usage of flight
coupons from two or more tickets issued at round trip fares, or the combination of two or more round-trip
excursion fares end to end on the same ticket for the purpose of circumventing minimum stay
requirements; "THROWAWAY TICKETING" - the issuance, purchase or usage of round trip excursion
fares for one-way travel; "HIDDEN CITY TICKETING" - the issuance, purchase or usage of a fare from a
point before the passengers' actual origin or to a point beyond the passenger's actual destination.

Thanks for you replies. I checked with airline and arranged later connection so all sorted.