Connecting an iPhone to a different PC

TarfHead

My brother has a desktop PC with iTunes installed and his iPhone is synched to it. He now wants to connect to a different PC so that he can get a specific app. Connecting to the desktop PC is no longer an option.

I've heard horror stories about iPhones being 'wiped' when connected to a different PC. Can anyone tell me if this can be done and how ? Aternatively a link to a step by step guide for how to do it.

I've no experience of apple hardware or software and need to be able to do this without running the risk of losing data or apps.

Thanks.

Turns out that you can't connect an iPhone to more than one computer, like you can with an ipod or ipad.

#applefail :rolleyes:

Its more likely that it cant connect to more than one account rather than more than one PC, no?

In that case it would just be a reasonable security measure and also prevent people from sharing apps.

AFAIK anyway

Its more likely that it cant connect to more than one account rather than more than one PC, no?

In that case it would just be a reasonable security measure and also prevent people from sharing apps.

Paraphrasing what is on the apple site "iPhone intended for use with a single computer. You cannot load music from multiple computers or iTunes libraries onto iPod shuffle and iPhone like you can with other devices".

So, IMHO, it's something they could support, but choose not to.

Hi Tarfhead, just a few more details on this.

The original PC will never be used again and it's always going to be connected to the new PC?

Is it just music he's concerned of transferring over?

A way to lessen it is to set up iTunes homesharing on the original PC and then connect the new PC to connect to the original itunes. That way you can access all the music on the orignal PC and put it back onto the iPhone.

However, the iphone will only sync with one PC, so there will be lost data unless careful with contacts, photos etc.

Turns out that you can't connect an iPhone to more than one computer, like you can with an ipod or ipad.

#applefail :rolleyes:

FYI, you can't connect an iPad to more than one computer either. I know it's not relevant now, but just mentioning it in case it comes up in the near future.

Back