Connecting all TV equipment together

ribena

Can anyone please help me with rigging up all the TV equipment together. I have a TV, set top box, DVD recorder & separate DVD Home Cinema. I had to disconnect the Home Cinema because I bought the DVD recorder after I had the rest set up and just couldn't cope with all the wires and not knowing which so go where. Can anyone please explain how to rig them all in neatly together. I have 2 AV's at the back of each device. Thanks in advance...

try www.avforums.com, its quite extensive.

S.

Oh Ribena the memories of when we got a new telly and home entertainment system. We tried loads of combinations trying to get it all to work. We have a TV, Sky Digital Box, NTL, and a home entertainment system that has the dvd and vcr. There was 2 sockets at the back of the telly named No 1 socket and No 2 socket. Can't remember what they're called. I'll have a look at ours tonight and post then.

I know we have the scart lead from sky box to the telly and from dvd to telly. Think the ntl is going into the back of the dvd. We have all the normal numbers on the tv remote and then a button on the bottom left which goes to what ever is plugged into no 1 socket and if pressed twice goes to what ever is plugged into no 2 socket. Sorry, I've probably confused you even more now.

Thanks very much for the replies. Will look up the avforums now. I would really appreciate it Mrs Dara if you wouldn't mind looking at the back of your telly. It's such a nightmare trying to sort them all out.

Did you get it sorted Ribena. Wish I had that link when we were doing it. You have one extra item than we do, but diagram 1 is the way we have ours done and we are able to tape from Sky Digital. It was very confusing at the start cos if we turned on the home entertainment system and didn't have the correct AV channel on, we got sound from whatever channel was on the HES and also sound from what every channel was on the TV.

I printed off the instructions from the sony link but didn't get a chance last night to try it out. I'm looking forward to linking everything up tonight. Thanks for all your help.

I have a mass of mess around my TV. In addition to the TV, there is a DVD player, an ntl digital set-top box and a VCR. Add in the numerous SCART and co-axial cables. And a co-axial splitter & booster.

Analog TV quality isn't great for some stations. I appreciate that it will never be perfect because of the splitting so my question is ..

.. is there a better quality of co-axial cable one can use to sustain the quality of split signals ? I use 'off-the-shelf' cable bought at an electrical shop. Is there a particular type one should use to diminish signal loss ?

TarfHead said:
.. is there a better quality of co-axial cable one can use to sustain the quality of split signals ?

just buy a signal booster in Maplin electronics jervis street or peats etc

they really do (in my experience) solve the problem of split signals - you put the main signal cable from the wall into your tele. Then your out signal from the tele into the booster. then as many outs from the booster as you require - i bought a booster with 8 outputs..

Thanks Podge
Not sure that TV has an 'out' socket.
Current configuration is wall to VCR to ALDI splitter/booster to TV.
2nd cable from ALDI splitter/booster is along length of co-axial to TV in kitchen and this is where signal really degrades.

Perhaps need something 'better' than €12.99 splitter/booster from ALDI ?

How much was unit in Maplins ?
They in Jervis Street ?

I have my TV connected to my audio amp, via a Scart/audio converter cable. All works fine when watching TV, but when I watch DVD or use my gaming console, the sound won't come through my audio unit, but only through the TV speakers - Any ideas for how to correct this?

Sounds like the TV is providing audio output not throughput. Sounds like you need to split both your DVD & Console cables, connecting the video to the TV and the Audio directly to your AMP (may need to get some kind of audio switch box to save tricking about with wires each time you use a different device). If I had the problem I'd be tempted to try connecting the headphones socket on the TV to the AMP as that should work assuming it doesn't damage the AMP (which I suppose is possible).