Connect house to gas network - how is pipe laid?

Brouhahaha

Hi,

If I wanted to connect my house to the natural gas network can anyone tell me how much digging is involved to get the pipe from road to house, i.e. would it involve a wide trench up the middle of your driveway or is it a more discreet job? I intend to lay a new driveway and gas is becoming available in the next couple of years so am wondering if postponing the driveway is the thing to do.

TIA

if you have a wide enough grass margin to the side of the driveway it can be carried up in that.....
the width of the trench is generally no more than 600mm from what ive seen before..

When we had the gas put in, they dug a hole in the footpath and then drilled under the garden wall and under the grass up to the wall of the house. No trench at all. You could try getting the name of your local gas installer in your county through the Bord Gais website and ringing them to find out their installation method.

HTH :)

If they feel like it they can use one of these system to avoid gidding up your garden :

Hey Brouhahaha,

I worked in Bord Gais.

Basically, B.G. distribution usually enter the ground downwards, street-side of your driveway ok. Then they use a 'flexable drill' to go horizontally to the point on your external wall that you arranged to have your meter.

The process is as simple as that, however !

Expect possible negatives such as the crew being slow at the work and job completion at times, keep an eye on it yourself and think about your meter placement too. Better have it outside so the reader can access it without bothering you, etc. But contact them to and simply query it, see that they can tunnel like that, because sometimes they do a survey to see that the underground path they want to take isn't obstructed by anything.

Thus there is the possibility that a trench lay may be required.

Good luck and call the distribution department as they will be the ones who will arrange everything ok.

Lao.

Lao,

Trying to arrange a connection to new house. Its on a serviced site. When I contact customer services they say there is a connection showing on their system. Builder says they have to run pipe through duct on site. There is no meter yet. Seem to be hitting a brick wall with customer services. Is it possible to get them to come out, would appreciate if you could let me know which department to contact. Thank you.

Rico

Back