Connect Broadband Connection pop up

boaber

Hi Folks

Every time I go on to particular websites (yahoo is one example) recently pop up box appears with the title /Connect Broadband Connection'

I am prompted to enter a user name & password. At the bottom of the pop up there are 4 buttons: 'Connect', 'Cancel', 'Properties' and 'Help'.

If I click on Cancel I am able to continue browsing with no problem

Any ideas why this pop is appearing and any suggestions on how I can stop it appearing?

Thanks

B,

Beware , if you are happy that all is in order (still able to browse the internet) when you do not submit any details into this window then it could be a phising virus looking for your credentials , do a full virus scan and fix .

If you need a good virus checker then get Free 8.0 from www.avg.com

I'm guessing you have a PPPoE connection defined in your Internet Connections but are using a DSL modem to dial the connection (i.e. a broadband modem provided by Eircom or whoever your provider is). If this is the case then (assuming Internet Explorer) go to Tools->Internet Options. Click on the Connections Tab and select the 'Never dial a connection' radio button and click OK to save the setting.

Thanks Guys

Mixednuts, I ran a scan with my current virus checker. All is clean.

Dearg Doom, I normally use Firefox. However, I opened Internet Options in IE and selected the radio button as suggested. Seems to be fine now in both browsers

Thanks for your help