congratulations to all this week's cyclists

When you get on a bike you take your life into your hands ,not the law into your hands.So it's single file and only side by side when it's safe.Next you will be cycling on pavements
Would it be safe to assume that by 'safe' you mean 'don't get in the way of any drivers in their big cars'. I don't think I've ever seen a road where it is unsafe for cyclists to cycle two abreast. It might slow down some cars, but that doesn't mean it's safe.

It certainly doesn't mean that a line of 20 cyclists in single file is safer than a bunch of 20 cyclists in a group. How can a car safely pass a line of 20 cyclists on a narrow, winding country road?

You have to accept that the law is the law.
You have never seen a road where it is unsafe to ride side by side? most country lanes would qualify there.
20 cyclist in a row (as the law requires) is a lot safer for the cyclist the driver in the car or truck does not die when hitting a bike.
A Lorry on a country road meeting bunched up cyclists coming the other way could potently be a blood bath.If they were in a single line the lorry would have enough space to get by.
A good idea with your 20 cyclist scenario,is for the group to spread out so there are gaps between for overtaking cars to slot into,This way every body gets to where they are going on time and in one piece. what you suggest is akin to saying it is better for people to walk down winding country roads in large groups.

Well said, a reasonable and balanced post.

You have to accept that the law is the law.
Can I take it that you've never broken a speed limit, or dropped litter, or jay-walked?

You have never seen a road where it is unsafe to ride side by side? most country lanes would qualify there.
You're missing the point. Most country lanes are not unsafe for riding two abreast. They may well be unsafe for a car to overtake two cyclists riding two abreast, but they are not unsafe for two cyclists.

20 cyclist in a row (as the law requires) is a lot safer for the cyclist the driver in the car or truck does not die when hitting a bike.
That's not what the law says.

A Lorry on a country road meeting bunched up cyclists coming the other way could potently be a blood bath.If they were in a single line the lorry would have enough space to get by.
There would only be a blood bath if the lorry is on the wrong side of the road. There would also be a blood bath of the lorry meets a family in their people-carrier, or a mini-bus full of school kids. The problem in this scenario is not the cyclists or the people-carrier or the school-kids. It is the lorry. If the lorry can't drive on his own side of the road, he shouldn't be on that road. That's the law, and you have to accept the law - right?

A good idea with your 20 cyclist scenario,is for the group to spread out so there are gaps between for overtaking cars to slot into,This way every body gets to where they are going on time and in one piece.

Makes sense, and often happens in practice. However, what also often happens in practice, is that regardless of whether there are 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 cyclists together, the car driver often overtakes the cyclists dangerously, where there is no space and no clear visibility to oncoming traffic, putting him/herself and the cyclists at risk.

I think it's ok to knock down the ones on the outside... but you'll need to clarify that before trying it.
Lol!

Seriously inconsiderate bunch - I've been behind groups of 4 or 5 cyclists travelling side-by-side at about 10mph and turning around every so often to laugh and smirk at the even increasing tail of vehicles behind them.

I think most road users, like myself, would never endanger anyone's life, but get really annoyed at the inconsiderate attitude of hobby cyclists.

I was behind 3 cyclists today on a straight stretch of well-marked road today. Fair play to them, they were in single file with at least 3 inches between them. At every little puddle they would swerve out on the road to avoid it, regardless of the traffic behind. Not only did they not signal, they didn't even bloody well look behind them. Can you imagine how difficult it is to drive a car with a phone wedged between your shoulder and ear, taking notes from that same conversation and trying to light a cigarette and then to have to scan the road ahead for little puddles that might force these clowns to swerve wildly out onto the road to avoid getting their bony litte ankles wet?

I have to confess, I'm one of those people who is often so infuriated by the cyclists who insist on cycling abreast so they can have a little chat, who rolls down the window and shouts abuse at them. Ignorant prats.