confusion over investments

R

redsquirell

My father died recently leaving me every thing in his will.When his bank account was checked ,there was very little money in it.I know for a fact that he had a substancial amount of money ,he mentioned several times a sum of money in a bank in Dublin which he said went "up& down in value everyday".I have searched every paper in his house, and I can`t find any share certificates or bank statments that would indicate that he had money invested.The solicitor has asked the bank of ireland to go back 20yrs to check for large withdrawls.Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can track down investments if they exist.My father kept all monetary matters very close to his chest,hense all the confusion.

Hi Redsquirrel
There was a recent thread on something simliar here
Brendan's advise from that may be helpful:
It will be difficult.

Did she operate a current account?

I would start there and trace the sources of the lodgments and the destinations of the payments.

Where was her pension paid? Was it into a bank account which you know about?

There are some forensic accountants around who might know some other tricks.

Brendan

If theres money invested a yearly statement is usually issued. Once your family address is the same then waiting is one option.
Another is to issue a legal letter to every investment company in Ireland and hope to hit something.

You mention Bank of Ireland. I take it that this is where your father had all his banking? If he mentioned a sum of money that went up and down in value, this would suggest some form of investment product. These days, Bank of Ireland only offer Bank of Ireland Life investment products. Previously they sold New Ireland Assurance products. A quick call to the head office of both these companies with your father's name and date of birth might be a good start.

If your father was well off, he might have used the services of Bank of Ireland Private Banking. They act as brokers. You could contact them also.

If you have a half decent solicitor, and on the information you have to hand, they should write to all the Banks and Investment houses seeking as to whether your father had an account / investments with any of them.

Found a letter from Bank of Ireland Business sector dated 08/04/08,thanking my father for being a valued customer etc. Passed this letter to the solicitor who wrote to them & guess what no investments nothing.I am finding this very hard to believe.Is it possible that using my fathers middle name is confusing the issue?

Back