Confused Plasma / LCD

W

wiredup

Hi Guys,
Can someone please let me know the difference between Plasma and LCD? Am looking to purchase a flat screen TV - what are the advantages / disadvantages.
Many Thanks,
Wired

Plasma .....cheaper.....poor picture up close

LCD ......more expensive.... better picture up close and can view from a wider angle.

No matter what anyone tells you (and they will) neither has the brightness and picture quality of an old fashoned CRT tube unless you use a high def input.

The common opinion, at least a short time ago, was..

go for a CRT for quality and value for money
an LCD if space was an issue (or if you wanted wall mounted) and the screen was < 40"
and Plasma when you required the screen > 40"

Following the threads already available on AAM and some of the additional links you'll find there should clear up any questions on the pros and cons of both and you can come to your own opinions with the knowledge in hand.

Have to agree with HF. If you have the space for it the CRT will still give you the best quality for the money.

There is also plenty of diuscussion on www.avforums.co.uk

Satanta said:
an LCD if space was an issue (or if you wanted wall mounted) and the screen was < 40"
and Plasma when you required the screen > 40"

That's my understanding as well-although I have just bought a 42" plasma and believe that it will be capabale of being wall-mounted (solid wall).

You shouldn't have any trouble wall mounting a plasma - I've just mounted a 37" Panasonic plasma (absolutley superb BTW) using this wall mount : [broken link removed]

If you are an avid sports viewer I'd go for a plasma over and LCD , I've not seen an LCD yet that I'd be comfortable watching fast moving sports like football or hurling on, but I'm sure lots of people would disagree! Anyhow as CCOVICH suggested go to avforums and do some research there.

M

CCOVICH said:
That's my understanding as well-although I have just bought a 42" plasma and believe that it will be capable of being wall-mounted (solid wall).

The wall mounting comment was meant to apply to both (both slim in dimensions so as long as the correct brackets are used, and its fully secured, then perfect) with Plasma more common (or at least a lot more affordable) when over 40" in size.

Hope the new TV works out well :), my 32" LCD has been a joy to own but was VERY tempted to go for a 40+" larger size.

One word of experience.... If wall mounting do take care with the connection points. Newer TVs come with a host of scart, usb and all sorts of video and audio ins and outs. It can turn into a jungle if some thought isn't given to it in advance how and where all the leads will go (or if in an awkward position make it extremely tough to even connect some of the leads - over an hour to set up a laptop to watch a DVD in a friends house where it was near [/in!] the corner of the room. As I was doing it he looked at me confused and commented "Oh, that’s what those thingies are for").
A little forethought and some creative routing can make a world of difference to the appearance (and versatility) of everything.

We've initally gone with stand, the wiring that goes along with wall mounting will require a bit of thought, as well as money, as it is a concrete wall, so hiding (chasing) the wires will be a big enough job. Home cinema, PC and Sky HD all have to be hooked up.

MM3 said:
If you are an avid sports viewer I'd go for a plasma over and LCD , I've not seen an LCD yet that I'd be comfortable watching fast moving sports like football or hurling on, but I'm sure lots of people would disagree! Anyhow as CCOVICH suggested go to avforums and do some research there.

Won't disagree, I looked at individual sets more than the whole LCD/Plasma debate when I was looking. I will say when using your set (be it LCD, Plasma or even CRT) the settings can (and usually do) make a huge difference (any decent retailer, if your interested and if you ask, should provide you with an example of sports on the set and help show you the optimium settings to maximise the results).

Having a slight difference between everyday TV settings, sport settings and movie settings can really make the best of your TV (most, if not all, newer sets will come with multiple settings which are stored in memory and can be customized for your environment and needs - no more difficult than setting profiles on your phone). When looking at LCDs I always asked for this and found the differences huge when the set was played with. I always compared to a CRT set though, so never really cross compared between Plasma and LCD.

HighFlier said:
Plasma .....cheaper.....poor picture up close

LCD ......more expensive.... better picture up close and can view from a wider angle.

No matter what anyone tells you (and they will) neither has the brightness and picture quality of an old fashoned CRT tube unless you use a high def input.
keep seeing these comments and it is no longer true-I have a 32"LCD now for 4 weeks and its every bit as good (or bad) as a CRT-good source/signal =good picture on LCD or CRT..cant comment on Plasma-dont own one.

Your problem of wires on the wall can be resolved by using the vogel cable column brackets availabe in DID Peats harvey sonycentre looks very effective

Back