Confused about credit card government charge

Ceist Beag

I've read the threads on this but I'm still a bit confused (a common occurrence!). If, say, I switch my bank account from AIB to Ulster Bank and also then switch my credit card, does this mean that (as I've already paid my €40 government charge for my AIB credit card) I won't be charged this fee for my new Ulster Bank credit card? Is there some sort of check made by Ulster Bank on receipt of my credit card application to see if I have an existing credit card and once I've made the switch do they then check to ensure I've cancelled that credit card and thus don't charge me the €40?
I'm just not sure how this all operates!

If you switch accounts after 2 April 2005 you should pay the stamp duty to old Bank/Card Issuer on closing the account. It will be requested in your final statement. Your old Bank/Card Issuer will then issue you with a Letter of Closure. This letter will confirm that you have paid the stamp duty for the period in question. You should present this letter to your new Bank/Card Issuer, who will not bill you for stamp duty for that period.

[broken link removed]

Back