Confirming flights before travel.

Sue Ellen

Moderator.
Can anyone tell me when is it necessary to confirm flights before travel? Have looked at terms and conditions with USIT and they mention that all flights have to be confirmed 72 hours before travel. Had never heard of this before.

Thanks.

Can anyone tell me when is it necessary to confirm flights before travel? Have looked at terms and conditions with USIT and they mention that all flights have to be confirmed 72 hours before travel. Had never heard of this before.

In a few countries like India (whether you travel with USIT or not), you are supposed to reconfirmwit the airline 72 hours before the flight or they can give your ticket away (sometimes). This actually happened to us a few times.

It may be that USIT wants to cover itself, but seems to me that most airlines specifically tell you NOT to reconfirm...

Reconfirmation really isn't necessary for flights any more (apart from a few exceptions in some less developed parts of the world )

Provided you have a confirmed ticket it should not be necessary to reconfirm any flights to/from/within the USA ... If you call the airline to reconfirm they'll probably think you're mad :)

I think reconfirmation of flights dates from a time when booking systems weren't computerised and really has not been necessary for quite a long time in most of the world for regular scheduled flights on "normal" airlines!

I would guess it's really old Ts&Cs from USIT .. the only possible excpetion could be if some of the flights were specially arranged charters for USIT - but even then I don't think it should be necessary

Just to add to Sunshine Supe's post - Reconfirmation isn't necessary in India any longer - i've just come back from there and did loads of internal flights and didn't reconfirm any of them - and none of the (excellent) airlines ask you to reconfirm any longer

Great thanks for the replies. Had thought it sounded strange alright. Wouldn't you think that USIT would get their act together and change their T&Cs.

P.S. I am mad - too many years hanging around AAM ;)

THANK YOU FOR BOOKING WITH RYANAIR

Please do not reply to this e-mail.

Passengers are advised to reconfirm their flight times on WWW.RYANAIR.COM

Using the REVIEW function 24 to 72 hours prior to scheduled departure.

The above is from a recent ryanair booking of mine from Newcastle to Dublin.
My opinion is that this is just the airline covering themselves in the event that the flight times are changed and that they fail to notify you.

The Aer Lingus policy is clear as per a recent booking:
Note:- Aer Lingus does not require booked passengers to reconfirm flights. Should a change in schedule occur you will be notified by e-mail

Back