Condensing Oil boiler-internal: Is there a smell of oil?

march_hare

Wondering if anyone has experience of this? Our plumber prefers to site boilers externally because he reckons you always can smell the oil in whatever room it is in. On the otherhand I have read that internally situated boilers are more efficient and we have enough room for it in our utility room (off the kitchen) on an external wall.
The alternative is to put it out in the galvanised cover the external version comes in somewhere in our as yet, unplanned garden/site where it might be in the way in the not too distant future.
any advice on this is appreciated!

I have just installed a grant condensing boilder inside and we find there is no smell of oil or exhaust fumes.

I just spoke to my plumber anout this today as I would also like to put mine in the utility room (a) so as I don't lose heat running from the garage and (b) it may give off some heat that I can hopefully use to dry clothes in my utility room.

Anyway, my plumber recommended the garage because of the noise it would create in the utility room. I'm confused!

Our plumber says noise isn't a major issue as the internal ones are reasonably quiet - the technical spec gives all that info. You'll hear it but its not offensive. But good to hear that there are no fumes!

Just to mention, we had our boiler moved outside precisely because of the smell. It wasn't an overpowering smell but it was certainly always there. It was an older boiler though so maybe that has a bearing.

Our utility room is north facing and we have a Firebird installed which is very quiet - you would only hear it when the door is open from kitchen to utility and even at that it is certainly not very loud. We have solid walls in all of the house - dormer. The only place that you can actually hear it (a hum-not too loud) is in the downstairs bathroom which is beside the utility room.

Back