Condenser boilers

colin79ie

I have heard that modern condenser boilers are more economical than conventionl oil burners.
How much would it cost to replace my oil burner to the more modern condenser burner, and would it be economical given the price of home heating oil recently?

I have heard that modern condenser boilers are more economical than conventionl oil burners.
How much would it cost to replace my oil burner to the more modern condenser burner, and would it be economical given the price of home heating oil recently?

They are more economical by up to 10 - 20% depending on your current boiler. A 35KW oil condensing boiler is between €1100 and €1300. I would need more info, like position of current boiler,I.E is it indoor or outdoor, in kitchen etc to give an idea of installation cost.

The boiler is outside against the back of the house and encased in a galvanised cover. It is a grant boiler if that's any good. About 6 years old.

On a slightly related note., I have noticed that the rads in the house are always piping hot to touch, even if the setting on the boiler is at 45 degrees. Is there another setting somewhere that I am missing? Or I was thinking the fuse in the boiler thermostat might be gone?

Boiler would be a stairght swap, half a day to a days labour plus pipe and fittings. One thing to keep in mind is that the boiler pumps out a plume which looks like a steam engine when it operates. It will be like this all year round and you won't belive it till you see it, It is harmless (CO2 and water vapour) when th eboiler is commissioned properly that is. So siteing the boiler is important.

Are you sure the thermostat knob is on the right way and you are reading it properly?

Some thermostats do go to 45ged, but you cshould not set your thermosat below 55-60 degs as the potential for ledgionalla in you hot water cylinder increases (they love warm water)

If you thermostat was faulty, your boiler would top out at about 85-90 degress and the overheat stat would trip out, but agin, without checking it your thermostat may be faulty and just not tripping at correct temp. or the thermostat phial may have come out of position and not reading boiler temp correctly, you should have it seen to, at the very least sounds like your burning a lot of excess oil to keep that high temp!

As far as I can see, the knob on the thermostat can nly fit on one way (similar to a cooker/hob) and it has two stops, one at 45 degrees and one at 85 degrees. The 45 is at '9 o clock' and the 85 is at 'twelve o clock'. It will only turn a quarter turn, i.e. between the two. I am reading it correctly.

at the very least sounds like your burning a lot of excess oil to keep that high temp!

Yeah, seem to have been burning more than I want to. A while ago the oil tank ran dry so my wife asked the delivery man if he could bleed the system. He did, but she said he was fiddling with what I believe to be the fuel inlet valve (small brass valve with the wheel about the size of a fifty cent coin)while he was at it. Could he have opened or closed it too much and be wasting oil or affecting the boiler? There doesn't appear to be a recommended setting in the boiler manual.
I am due to have it serviced anyway before the winter. Anyone know how much this will set me back. It's a few years since it was done.

That valve is the fire valve, it does not effect oil consumtion (unless closed and your burner wont fire!) burner pressure is set on the burner pump (guide is 8 bar kero, 12 bar diesel) this can be checked using a oil pressure guage on the pressure port of the pump (should be checked at very yearly service)

When you have you boiler serviced, make sure your serviceman performs a 'flue gas analysis' which will tell you how well your boiler is performing among other things

Is the thermostat in a dry pocket iin the grant?, I know some of the thermostats (grants) are clipped to the casing.
If its in a dry pocket then the pocket may be coated with scale or sludge, this in effect would absorb alot of heat and would have to get very hot before the thermostat would read it.
If it is clipped on the side of boiler check to see that it is making contact.
Probably a job for a service man if your unsure.

most grants i seen are dry pockets, alway a good helping of copper grease or heatsink paste helps (have only seen the clip ons on the firebirds)