Condensation - steel supports

10to1

Hi. I've read many previous posts but none address my problem. I have corner windows with 100 x 100 structural steel supports clad in PVCu. I get huge amount of condensation on them every morning. Is there anything I can do to rectify the problem? I have addressed ventilation etc. etc. as per previous posts but no luck. Thanks

Very difficult to sort, the only suggestion I could make would be to remove the PVC lining internally and replace with wood- this is warmer to the touch and won't promote condensation.

Hi 10to1. I know you posted this a long time ago. Did you get the problem sorted. How about pumping the suport with insulation. I think you can buy expanding foam that may resolve this.

No didn't sort the problem - learn't a lot about relative humidity though. I'd be reluctant to drill and fill with foam as they are structural supports. The support is 2m and the problem with condensation on the windows got better throughout the winter but I put it down to the size of the windows or the size of the glass to be precise. Don't seem to have any probs with small windows. Anyway enjoying the summer now.

10to 1,
I am looking at putting 100 x 50 posts between corner windows myself, also in two other places dut to the long lengths of windows, under a ring beam to be exact. Do you have any advice what to do. If i insulate inside and outside will this sort the problem???
Also I am in the process of installing a corner window, and the engineer has speced it with 2 x 100 x 50 RHS sections on each wall either side of cavity, he has then placed a ring beam over this. He cannot use concrete lintels as thereis hollow core above it. How do I stop or prevent cold bridging??? you may have been down this road???

Gosh that's too technical for me. My lintel is one of those steel ones that looks like an Omega with polystyrene insulation in the 'u' bend or 'n' bend. Where the two lintels meet at the corner, pieces had to be cut at 45degrees and then the corner post with a square pad on top was bolted to it. I have it upstairs in the same place and used concrete flooring. I have a cold bridge I'm sure and if the plaster coat was thicker on the inside I'm also quite sure I wouldn't have the condebsation and mould buid up on the wall. To be honest I'd have done away without the corner window if I was back again in the bedroom anyway as the curtains gather in the corner (curtain manufacturer couldn't do it any other way) and so I may as well have blocks for the effect I now have.Sorry I'm sure not any help to you. You might be able to avoid having a corner post altogether if you can cantilever rsjs from either side - then you could join the frames at right angles without the post. I'm sure your engineer could advise. Just a layman's suggestion.