condensation on the inside window

judge

we are suffering at the moment with condensation on the inside of the window in our main bedroom. It is a bay window with a radiator under it; we have curtains hanging in the bay window, so when the curtains are closed the radiator is between the curtains and the window. At first I thought it may be this setup causing the problems so I turned the radiator off. However the window was still covered with condensation the next morning. The house is about 5 years old and the windows are double glazed. I had it in my head that there should be no condensation and it seems by looking around that the neighbours dont have this problem.

any opinions appreciated.

Judge

Condensation is occurs when moist air hits a cold surface.
Effective double glazing will much reduce, but will not eliminate condensation; it seems therefore that the inner surface of the double glazing is cold enough to produce condensation.

You don't say whether there is a little or a lot of condensation - a little suggests that you don't have a major problem, but more than a little suggests that you need to get the glazing checked.

How is the ventilation? If none in room, are there vents fitted to windows which may be closed.

I agree with SineWave, check the Ventilation, If there is a vent in the room make sure its not blocked. I have come across a case where the builder put the vent covers on but didnt actually leave a hole in the wall.

We had this problem too, room was well ventilated, our problem was the power shower in the ensuite casuing the condensation, we got a dehumidifer and the problem has been solved, do you have an ensuite with a power shower, from talking to different people it seems they can cause a lot of condensation.

Back