Condensation in headlights - covered by warranty?

stefg

can edit posts
Hi,

I remember reading a post here before about condensation in the headlights of a car and that it is usually sometimes by a dodgy seal or something like that, but I can't find the posting.

I've just noticed that both the headlights of my car have condensation in the glass. It's a 2005 car and has a manufacturers 3 three year waranty for parts failures. Do you think I could get this sorted under waranty? Not sure if this would be considered a parts failure? I'm guess it won't be expensive to get this fixed?

Is condensation on the glass a big issue? I want to get it sorted because I like to keep my car in the best condition possible but I guess for the moment it's not doing much harm, is it?

Thanks,
Stef

Hi I had headlights replaced under warranty due to condensation no problem.

Garages are very happy to replace stuff under warranty as the get to charge the manufacture full rate for labour. Easy money as far as they are concerned.

Bring the car into the Garage and they will check that no damage has been done to the Headlights, If you have 3 year warranty, It's a Jap car you have so there should be no problem getting parts.

CrazyWater with a statment like that you don't know anything about warranty on a Car. FYI Warranty is a loss for both Garages and Manufactures, Hence most people when have a warranty problem are sent if possible back to there dealer they bought the car from. No such thing as easy Money.

Hi Mr2, Thanks for the reply.

I'll bring the car to the garage I got it from and see what they say but there has definitely been no damage done to the car.

Just curious... how do the garages make a loss on waranty repairs... I don't really understand how it works?

The car is due for a service soon so I guess if I get this done at the same time they may be more willing to sort it.

Thanks,
Stef

Manufac of car's bring out a Book or application on the computer for Warranty times on replacing parts. It's worked off an average time of the job being done 10 times by there mechanics in a perfect world, No allowence for a car having a year or two etc wear and tear. Long story short most times are not even close because our mech might only does this two or three times a year let a lone 10 times in a row getting faster each time. The rate is lower than you retail because as with some of your fleet customers etc the more business they give the better rate they get however with a Manufac there your biggest business so get a lower rate. However if you get a breakdown and it takes 10 hours to find a problem Ie. an ECU, They will only pay for replacing the part, (9 hours lost), They rarely pay for car hire which in the end the dealer has to pay. Some Importers pay for one to three days car hire, But that no good when we regulary have cars off the road from 1 month to 3 months, You as a customer are not going to pay that and ye don't care who imports the car you want the dealer to sort it and as such if there is going to be a big prob with a car they would pass the car back to the selling dealer. Warranty is also such a big deal in garages and also if not claimed right the money can be taking back it requires usuall a full time job for someone in a garage again now your down a wage aswell but in order to sell these cars you have to be able to provide a warranty.

Last edited:
I accept what you say Mr2 but my response was based on what the service manager told me when I went in to see if the headlamp was covered on the warranty. Maybe it was because their mechanics have become very fast at replacing headlamps.

Could be true, possibly '04 or '05 Avensis. But your experience was specific to that repair. Maybe next time you might put in more details so as not to confuse the specific repair with Warranty in general.

Back