Concrete Stairs

Scut&Gill

Hi All,

We put in a concrete stairs....great idea have to say, really made everything much easier, and safer! Anyway, the query is that we now have to timber it out....wondering if anybody did this, who did it and roughly how much did it cost?
Would really appreciate any advice...we will be painting it white anyway and leaving the handrail wood....Thanks!

I now have a concrete stairs in place. Looking for timber oak or walnut for goings on stairs. 260mm deep by 1000mm wide. Anyone know where I would get this. Bullnosed face preferred if possible.

Thanks

I now have a concrete stairs in place. Looking for timber oak or walnut for goings on stairs. 260mm deep by 1000mm wide. Anyone know where I would get this. Bullnosed face preferred if possible.

Thanks

What thickness material are you proposing to use, and will you be using risers as well, or treads only.

sabre

Hi Sabre,

Thickness --- approx 20mm I would think.
Risers, I plan on plastering and painting white.

Any ideas

Have you considered wood effect tiles, together with an anti slip bullnose edging. Easy to fit, hardwearing, and will fill the 20mm requirement.

If you fit 20 mmm down on top of the concrete steps, you are going to see all the joints as you climb the stairs. To hide the horizontal joints you really need to have a 25-30mm bull nose material, and 20mm tread material, so that you have a cover lip (rebate ) at the front edge of the step. Tiles would be an easier option, but you may be set on timber.

sabre

Sabre,
I would hope to get the timber deep enough to put a bullnose on front on it. Also have it out approx 20 to 25 mm. If I do this then all I have to do with the risers is plaster and paint them. I do not want to tile.
Anyone know where I can get this material for a stairs.
I have heard of timber that can be glued to stairs, especially made for this purpose. However I do not know the suppliers.
Thanks.

Best option for timber choice is a top quality semisolid flooring, with a heavy solid veneer of the timber of choice. Point the tongues forward, and glue a bullnose machined piece of solid to the front face tongue. This will give a more stable tread than a solid timber tread. Solid treads in a standard staircase stay flat , because of its method of construction into the strings, in this case it may cup if not fixed securely. Semi solid is less likely to cup and shrink or expand.

If you intend to use solid timber, then try to get a top quality quarter sawn board. That is a board that has the growth rings running from the bottom face of the board, to the top face of the board, as viewed from a cut end. Prepared treads can be ordered from any joinery, but be prepared that wide boards are not cheap. Even wide boards should be made up from 1 or 2 narrow width boards to reduce the risk of cupping.

sabre