Concrete level between Ground floor & First Floor.

F

furiousHarry

Concrete level between Ground floor & First Floor.

Hi,

I'm looking into going down the direct labour route, and building a tradional 2 storey house.

I'm looking into the possibility of concrete slabs to seperate the floors, and was wondering if anyone had any idea as to whether this is an expensive process ??

The fact that it would make the floors fire-proof, and sound-proof is a big plus, but at what cost.

The house is about 2200 sq feet.

Anyone got any advice, ideas on prices etc .... ?

Thanks again....

My brother in law did it as he was building 2 apartments, one on top of the other so made a lot of sense expecially for sound proofing...if I see him I will ask him.

Concrete Ceiling

Appreciate it Legend99...

Anyone else heard anything about this type of upper floor/ ground level Ceiling ..

Any input is appreciated ?

Regards,
FH

Re: Concrete Ceiling

Expect to pay around €40 per sqm maximum.

concrete

Expect up to 2 weeks curing before you can go on with other jobs on the site.I am not an expert in concrete building but the figure of Bobby (40€/sqm) seems to be at the lower end, you need an engineer expertise for the load bearing capacity of the existing structure,if proper drawings don't exist it might be his advise to put in pillars incl.footing etc....

Re: concrete

I used SpanWright from Monaghan. Unlike some, their precast slabs do not require a structural screed to be poured on top (just a small bit of grouting between slabs is required) and so the need to wait for curing is eliminated. The slabs do need to be propped from underneath before loading with bales of blocks though. Also, they send out their own engineer to assess the need for structural support underneath the slabs eg. RSJ's etc. All in all, a great service, and I'd highly recommend them.

re: concrete

Thanks Lads,

I was speaking to a friend about it and he said that it's a lot of hassle, he know of someone that did it, and had to double the thickness of his blocks to take the weight ?

is this true ?

Bobby - Cheers, that's prob the way I'd go, Pre-cast slabs that is .... Did you have to make any other changes to cater for this first level floor ?

Concrete Floors

I am building 2000sq ft house in kerry and considering concrete floors as well - mainly to reduce noise but also and to reduce heat loss

Internal leaf to be 'block on flat' was recommended to take the additional load of concrete floor.

These are the two companies I have found

www.duconconcrete.com - adv - able to span long distances
and [broken link removed] spans up to 5m (I think) but can be plastered/rendered directly without battoning unlike previous.

Hope that helps

Tellme

Re: Concrete Floors

Hi happyHarry!
The only thing of note that I did to accommodate the slabs was to have a few internal walls layed on the flat. But this was only where slabs met, and so was purely to allow enough area for slabs to meet end to end, and nothing to do with load bearing. I honestly find it hard to believe any supplier would need all internal leaf walls on the flat, but I'm no expert, and by far the best advise is to get it from the horse's mouth ie. send plans (ground and first floor) to any potential suppliers and see what they recommend/want. One other requirement was to install RSJ's over windows where slabs were running perpendicular to the window.

Concrete

Cheers for all the info ....

Total newby / Clueless.

excuse my ignorance, but did laying the blocks on the flat on all boundary walls & on a few internal walls add a huge cost ?

I'm trying to get an rough idea of the extra price ?

if the Slabs are 45 euro max per sq Metre, and the house is say 2000 sq foot, which means that the area of the floor is 1000 sq foot.

Divided by 10.7 = 93.5 metres
Mult by 45 = say €4000

------------------------------------------------------

How much did it cost to get them layed - or was it included in the price ?
How did you manage Plumbing, electrics etc ?

You obviously had to use more blocks ? Was this a huge added cost ?

I'm trying to list out the costings :
Slabs ? 4000
Installation ?
Extra Blocks for "layon on flat walls" ?
grouting ?

is this going to be a job of say 6k or 16k ?

Thanks for all the advice ...

Concrete

Internal leaf to be 'block on flat' was recommended to take the additional load of concrete floor.

Apologies - internal leaf of external walls to be 'block on flat...

is how that should have read. walls within house are either single block on edge or stud partition.

I agree with Bobby - well worth sending off you drawings of grd floor and 1st floor and they will recommend the best options. I know they recommended very slight changes to a particular room size for me in order to get a 'cleaner' fit for the slab but had no impact on overall design of house.

As for price - €3700 I was quoted about a year ago and that included delivery and placing. But I had a double height ceiling space so that reduced the floor area.

Cost of additional blocks on flat - mentioned this to the block layer and he will price those 20c cheaper. He is still doing very well though.

Plumbing/electrics - for the ducon slabs service ducts or holes can be left in the slab while casting. Not sure if it is possible to cut a hole in the slab when placed - if I wanted to add another bathroom or something later?

Dont see any implications for insulation or grouting.

Hope that helps and good luck with the direct labour route. I am hoping to start next year meself.

Tellme

Concrete

Thanks a mill TELLME !!
I'm hopefully going to start next year too, am doing it Direct due to the sheer cost of contractor, friend is a blockie, so his advise will be invaluable...

I'm in Limerick, saw a good post re: Velux windows,

Thanks Again,
FuriousHarry

concrete

I have discovered a leak in a central heating pipe buried in a concrete floor along a central corridor. These copper pipes were laid by cowboys before I bought the house. There is no insulation on some of these pipes which are just under the surface of the floor. A plumber will rip up the floor to fix the leak. If he opens a long trench in the floor is there a chance that if the trucking has settled under the floor the possibility of underpinning may arise? Is there a type of synthetic pipe that doesnt need insulation? Which could be laid close to the surface of the floor?

Is there a chance of subsidence if this trench is opened for new pipes? Would plumbers have come across problems like this previously? House built over 25 years ago.

floor.

there are different types of precast slabs.there are hollowcore and wideslab.There is a minimum bearing on a wall usually 200mm min.look up www.concast.ie/.
Dont worry about a pipe in the middle of a corridor.Fixing it is easy and no underpinning or subsidence would take place for a central heating pipe.they would use qualplex flexible pipe.with easy push on fittings.

floor

Does this mean a shallow cutout in floor for new pipes. Do qualplex pipes need insulation?
How do I work out the BTU's needed for each room? Any website that does the calculations?

BTU

Hi piper !
I think that BTUs are an outdated unit , the correct unit would be " WATTs" , roughly 3:1 .The right calculation for these would depend on many factors i.e. the U-value of the overall structure.The company "Qualpex" might help you further,I don't have their web adress but google might be helpfull.

Back