Concrete Garden

Pique318

We have a small (c. 120 sq metre) garden.

What sort of money am I looking at to have it concreted ?

It will need the soil removed, foundation layer of gravel or whatever and readymix + screeding.

Any ideas of a price per sq metre ?

access would be hard to get to so yr price is up, concrete barrowed in or pumped in is another hike plus the earth taken out then built back up again and having to take all that out by hand if you can't fit any machine down the back all would have to be thought about in the price plus drainage aswell
nothing worse than an area with puddles of water and moss growing cause of damp and no proper fall

Last edited by a moderator:
You do need to take into account that you will have a large area of rainwater sluicing down towards your property. Concrete gets mossy, slimy and discoloured and is environmentally-polluting in essence. It will be even harder to get rid of than the considerable task of installing. Is there any particular reason why a garden is not tolerable?

I realise the drawbacks are significant but I just want to get a feel of the prices.

What is the recommended depth of the foundation and what kind of stone should be used?

How much concrete depth is normal for an area with no cars, just foot-trafic.

How about reclaimed stone as an alternative ? Where would I find such a thing in Ireland ?

Not the same thing, but what we did in a similar sized garden was to create a split level (the "garden" was full of debris/rocks, badly sloped) just by digging and redistributing, built a little 2 brick high border to separate the two, levelled the areas as best we could, laid down weed barriers and then covered the whole area with gravel - which we got for nothing at a nearby site.

It was hard work but not difficult to do, cost us next to nothing, and looks, I think, a lot better than just concreting. Added some plants/flowers in coloured pots around the place and it actually looked very well for a completely amateur job.

(BTW I had never laid a brick/mixed cement in my life before this)