Concrete ceiling slab supports

R

rahman

Need some advice about concrete ceiling slabs. I am laying the slabs (125mm solid pre-stressed slab 1200mm wide) from the front of the house to the back of the house with a spine wall in the middle (4" block on flat) which will mean the slabs will meet on the spine wall and will span to the inner leaf of the outerwall.
I have 2 locations where there is no wall to support the slabs.
Location 1: this is in the spine wall and i want to have an open plan bewtween two room hence no wall. span is approx 4000mm
Location 2: is on an external wall where there is an ope to a sunroom. span is approx 3500mm

What are the best options for support?
A prestressed concrete head or steel I-beam/RSJ.
I'm not worried about bulkheads underneath as the underside of the slabs will be at 2700mm and I plan to install a metal grid approx 300mm to give a ceiling heaight downstairs of approx 2400mm.

Rahman,
I also installed concrete floor slabs earlier this year in the first floor. Where the distance was too long, I installed universal columns as requested by my structural engineer. As I recall they were 203x203x48mm Beams and the slabs were placed into the beam and not on top.

Were the beams bedded in mortar or how were they secure. How did insulate exterior of beam to prevent thermal dridging at this point

did the suppliers not give you advice about support based on the drawings you supplied them

Back