Concrete Breaking

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
U

Unregistered

Hi,

Has anybody got any experience of breaking concrete? I have any area of concrete in my back garden that I plan to remove. It's about 12 sq. m., half of it looks like a normal concrete path but the other half had some sort of small structure built on it and could have some fairly deep concrete.

I'm thinking of hiring a kango hammer and having a go myself but have never used one before. I'm up for a bit of hard labour but am a bit concerned that it could take ages to get the deep concrete out and living in a terraced house I don't want to annoy the neighbours with the noise too much.

Anyone any experiences?

Jack

A kango is easy to use and should get the job done although there is not much you can do about the noise. Just keep chipping away!

If it's not too deep a sledgehammer might be enough. Hard work though, I'd use the kango. Apologise to the neighbours in advance, with a bit of warning they might decide to go shopping or something while you're doing it. (A word of advice: try not to do it during the world cup final or equivalent event!)

You can also hire an industrial Kango if you have the space at the side of the house to get one through this will make fast work of the job I've seen these in action busting up roads and old foundations/concrete they are a gift in a situation such as yours if that doesn't appeal then you'll just have to tip away with the normal sized kango which will also do the job but will be a lot slower.

Good Luck

Whatever way you do it be careful of causing vibration/impact damage to adjacent structures - e.g. neighbouring concrete paving, adjacent external or house walls etc. I've see this happen!

A kango might be a be light for this job (as mentioned above, by Dobber). They're okay for block walls etc, but concrete floors might be a bit too much. Ask the person at the hire shop.

I've used a concrete breaker to bust up some concrete foundation. These machines are really heavy, but they glide through the concrete. The hard work is in lifting the machine out of the hole you just made. (tip: switch off the machine when pulling it out of the hole!)

It will really strengthen the back as well - If it doesn't break your back

Hello

I've been through this recently. I hired a bosch breaker to break up about 18 sq m of patio of varying thicknesses. Breaking was actually not too bad. As someone says above, the hardest thing is pulling the breaker from one hole to the next.

Rubble disposal was (is) a problem. I filled a standard size skip with rubble and still have about half as much again. Not much opportunity to bury the stuff.

Anyone want some rubble??

BraveInca

How much did it cost to hire the bosch breaker and what does it run off?

Saw them listed on one plant hire site for €40 per day or €120 per week inclusive of VAT. They're electric.
Leo

Broke up a concrete driveway with a kango in a day. concrete was 4-6 inches thick. start from the edge and work your way in. concrete will break/crack easier this way. Filled a large skip with all the rubble! Good Luck!