Concrete Base

susie1

I'm planning on building a wooden shed/ garage (5m*5m) out the back garden. it's one of those flat packed things, but needs to be built on a base of somesort.
option A, concrete base
option B, build on posts/ raised platform

i'm more keen on the concrete, is this the better option and would it be easy to do ourselves or to get a builder or someone in to do it. would it be expensive to get someone else to do it?

thanks

Just sit it on concrete blocks laid out on the flat, dig out the unserside of the blocks & level it with gravel to ensure the blocks dont crack!

if i could do that with blocks, could i lay slabs also? what about damp proofing? the shed will be used as a games room not just storage.

Then I would go with an insulated concrete slab. If the walls aren't also insulated there mightn't be much point in insulating the floor though so you'd want to look in to that.

concrete base is the better option, blocks are easier and if you lay your slab right then it wont crack at that size of slab anyway

I mentioned this elsewhere but can't find the post/thread right now. I erected one of those [broken link removed] (from Argos) on a base of c. 1sqm paving slabs. The ground was pretty compacted anyway so I just dug it out a bit to level it, laid a ground/weed sheet and then laid the slabs on top. The shed was then erected on the base and bolted in at the four corners. Worked fine.

so could i buy i huge ready set slab for the size i want and just place it in the garden, or get a concrete mix and make the base myself? i don't know anything about this stuff really so any help is greatly appreciated.

I doubt that you can buy a single slab big enough for a shed base. My point was that laying a number of paving slabs in the way I described may work. It did for me although the Yardmaster sheds are relatively light and if your shed is heavier then perhaps the slabs would not take the weight as well? If you know nothing about this then you might want to get professional avice or assistance?

P.S. I probably overestimated the dimensions of my individual slabs at 1sqm. I just can't remember the actual dimensions...

Back