Concerned Wikipedians

ajapale

More and more people are concerned about the quality of Wikipedia.

[broken link removed] amusing view comes from the Chaser down under and illustrates some of the concerns.

Ah, my poor wikipedia! I have'nt had time to read the article fully, but having been a major contributor to the 'pedia in the past, I most argue on its behalf - it is still evolving, yes the quality varies; but have a look at some more prominent articles and you'll see how accurate it can become over time - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Featured_articles

Seems like there's more problems with how Wikipedia articles are constructed and how they can be manipulated - [broken link removed].

I've seen more or less the same "Wikipedia flaws" coverage in numerous newspapers here and abroad in the past couple of weeks which suggests that somebody decided that the story was worth publishing and everybody else just followed suit. Perhaps the news coverage is out of proportion to the importance of the story? Not to say that Wikipedia does not contain errors but given the open/co-operative nature of the authoring of content for it that's hardly surprising or newsworthy? What's more important is how quickly errors are detected and corrected.

Back