Computer Speakers

tml

Hi,

I have a Dell PC but the sound seems to have disappeared so it looks like I will probably have to buy new speakers......do I need to buy Dell speakers or can I get any kind, also where would I buy such speakers (im based in Dublin 2)

Cheers

No, you don't have to get Dell-specific speakers. In fact you probably don't have to get new speakers at all unless there is a significant something you left out of your post.

There's not a lot to go wrong with speakers really and it is unlikely that both speakers in a pair developed a fault at the same time. Most likely one of the following is your problem :
1) power lead has fallen out of one of the speakers (if they are powered)
2) audio lead has fallen out of one of the speakers or out of the back of the PC
3) volume turned down to NIL on the speakers (or even turned off if there is an off setting)
4) volume turned down to NIL on the PC

z

Do you have Creative Diagnostics on your PC this is usually pretty good at diagnosing problems.

thanks for the replies, it definitely seems to be something wrong with the speakers, they are wired up correctly to the pc and plugged in but there is no power getting to them, the light on them isnt even turning on, will try argos at lunchtime today

Have you tried pluggin the speakers into a radio headphone socket. This will let you know if the speakers are working or not. if they work on the radio or even portable cd player/MP3 then its obviously a PC problem. if they do work take a set of known working headphoones or other speakers and test if they work on the PC. Also if there is anything plugged into the front headphone socket on the pc then no sound will come out the back speaker socket. try the socket at the front with headphones or other known working speakers. doing this will give you a better indication as to the problem

Well I have bought new speakers and there is still no sound:mad: I have run the checks that have been suggested and still no luck

when I go into the device manager on the pc it tells me that everything is working properly with the sounds and audio devices....any ideas what to do next??

Have you checked the volume control on the PC ? Make sure it is not right down and also not muted.

z

Back