Computer repair

brodiebabe

Can anyone recommend a computer repair company in Dublin 15, that I can bring my hard drive to be looked at by them.

There was a power failure last night and when I switched on the computer today it would not start up (chugging and beeping sounds).

50% of the info. is backed up to a server (important info.) the other half not saved (but nothing too important needed).

Any advice?

I'd remove the drive and put it in an external enclosure/or another computer and see if it can read/seen. When theres a power cut, there can be a power spike, especially when the power comes back on that can damage the computer and anything in it. Usually its the motherboard that goes.

If doesn't come up easy on another computer, don't try and write anything to it. That can make it much harder to recover. At that point (where the drive can't be accessed by you) you'd have to decide what its worth before taking to a professional recovery service, as these are expensive.

A similar thing happened to me last year. There appeared to be a power surge and the hard drive went bang. There was a faint smell of smoke from it as well. Brought the hard drive around to a local computer shop and the guy looked at it and after a few days rang to say he had retrieved most of the data on it which he put on a cd rom told me it would be cheaper to buy a new computer rather than waste money on repairs which was fair enough of him to do so. He got rid of it for me as well. Total cost 60 euros

I'd follow aircobra19's advice. It may not be the hard drive that's the problem - could be RAM/Motherboard etc., so if you connect the hard-Drive as a second drive on another pc (if you have access to one), this will tell you if the data on the drive can be accessed (Don't try and boot from the drive while attached to the other pc).

Does anything come up on your screen when you do try to start the computer or does it just sit there beeping?!