Computer Monitor Size - Imperial/Metric explanation?

miselemeas

I notice that computer monitor size is normally expressed in inches. As the transition from imperial to metric was to be completed in 2005, I do not understand why this is allowed - does anyone have an explanation?

Allow. Is there a law where something has to be in metric? They usually give both metric and imperial. Same with TV's. etc.

My car takes 185-70-14 tyres.
The 185 = mm (metric)width
70 = 70% ratio height/width
14 = 14 inches wheel rim size.
As you see car tyres are a mixture of both metric and imperial measurements.

The metric system is the only system of weights and measures taught in Irish schools. It could be that the final changeover date has been extended for some areas of business. :confused:

What final changeover? Can you link to the relevant rules/legislation if any?

I am looking for up-to-date information on this regulation in relation to computer monitors as a matter of interest, as the query has been brought to my attention

There have been many amendments to the regulation, which can be found at the following URL but I can't find the specific detail I require

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

Just tradition I suppose. Screens are measured in inches in some metric countries as well.

Basically the problem is that your computer originated in the good old US of A. from IBM and Microsoft. Almost all units are Imperial, Screen Size and Resolution (96 DPI - Dots per Inch), Font 'Point' - 72 Ponts per Inch, [broken link removed] and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_(typography) Twips - 1440 per Inch, Printers are 300 DPI etc

Towger

Last edited:
Back