Computer hangs when using Internet

cronley

Using Eircom broadband 2mb & Internet explorer 7.0 Home user. Windows XP professional. Dell PC 1 year old.
A recent problem I have every time i use the internet on various different sites - when i click an option or link, sometimes it opens up & sometimes it doesnt open - the new screen opens, but doesnt fill, & the blue circle at top left keeps spinning -i have to click the stop button & try again - then it may come up or I might have to click stop a few times before it comes up. It also hangs sometimes when I click the back button.
This problem started a few weeks ago - it seemed to happen when my McAfee anti virus subscription expired - i did not renew it - I installed AVG free & SPF firewall free - when I got this problem i unistalled both the AVG & SPF & am not using any anti virus now.
Nothing wrong with the broadband line - my son connects his laptop & doesnt have this hanging problem.
Has anyone an idea how to fix this problem - help appreciated.

First step would be to check for problems such as viruses/malware. See the "clean PC" sticky thread the the top of this forum. I'd suggest using something like The Ultimate Boot CD or UBCD for Windows to check for viruses/malware while not booting off your main Windows hard disk which might allow certain nasties to mask their presence more easily.

Clubman
Im not well up on tech stuff. Please let me know which one to download - The Ultimate Boot CD is version 4.1.1 - UBCD for Windows is version 3.05

Probably start with the latter. To be honest if you are not up to speed on tech stuff then you should probably get somebody who is to help you. It will be easier that way.

Clubman
I downloaded & installed UBCD4Win. I am working my way through the build process using the "How to Build" notes. I was asked to copy the XP CD to the hard drive, but I dont have the Operating System CD. When I bought the Dell PC, there was a note with it saying "no CD is being supplied - if You need to reinstall your software, use Microsoft Windows System Restore or Dell PC Restore".
The build is asking me to input the Source (path to Windows installation files) - how do I do this without the CD. Will I be able to proceed with the build without the CD.
Thanks for your patience.

Think this is happening to alot of Eircom customers recently. I have heard other people talking about it. Not sure what the solution is though!!

If you can remember when this started to happen you can do a system restoire to that point.

DO a search in Help for System Restore and follow the links from their. Its self explanatory and the help system does most of the work.

This will roll back any changes madeto windows to the date you select. It woint remove any data just anything installed since the date selected

BTW IE 7 could be the cause of your problems. Its not the most stable like most Microsoft applications when they come out first

As other posters have suggested, you may have malware.
1) A very good free download is AdAware which will scan your PC for unwanted rubbish, which may be causing the freeze. You can download from www.download.com which is very reliable.

You could also have a virus - to check online go to www.trendmicro.com, click on Free Virus Scan and away you go.

Last edited: