Computer broken, harddrive intact - possible to retrive data?

Josey Wales

Hi,
My old computer broke down again during the week. I don't really want to get it fixed but I would like to retrieve some files on the hard drive.

I think the hard drive is unaffected it is other issues like the power supply is broken. Does anyone know if it is possible to retrieve the data? Is it possible to connect the hard drive to another computer if it is removed?

Thanks.

Josey Wales said:
Is it possible to connect the hard drive to another computer if it is removed?
Some of may be of interest to you.
An external hard drive is generally the same beast that sits inside your machine, but in a nice case with extra connections on it and a higher price tag. In fact, it's often more economical to take an existing drive and buy a special housing unit for it if you want an external drive, as a complete off-the-shelf solution rarely seems to be a bargain.
You have to pay for the "external housing" unit, but it means you then have the ability to use any internal hard drive as an external drive (often much cheaper to buy the internal drive and the housing than an external drive, also provides the means to use multiple drives/upgade fairly easily).

Josey Wales said:
I think the hard drive is unaffected
Obviously will only work if the HDD is unaffected.

a 2 year + computer will have an IDE (also ATA) hard drive not a SATA type , get the right housing for it

Back